1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hoover67, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have been wondering.....it is okay to let egg-mates mate and produce offspring? Is there a problem with in-breeding? We want to get some Muscovies and want them to be able to breed and raise some babies. The kids would love it.

[​IMG]

2. I'm no expert, just have read a tiny bit.
    It is done intentionally at times to bring out desired characteristics. There is a higher chance of deformaties but to what degree is probably unpredictible.
    That's just my limited understanding. [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Hoover where are you at? I have a blue pied drake ifyou anywhere close to the NE Ohio Area. I live between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. He is even pretty tame and will come to get food from your hand and is only 9month old. Oh and if ou dont find any babies this spring look around at the local or the county fair. I picked up a trio of girls for 20$ .

I would only breed them together if there is a particular trade that you want to get and preserve. Mine are unrelated and when i picked the females i took three different colors to make sure i minimize the chance of them being related.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Quote:Thanks! Unfortunately I am in Huntsville, AL. I would love to have him! Thanks for the advice!! Is there anyway to tell the boys from the girls when they are 3 or 4 months old?

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks! Unfortunately I am in Huntsville, AL. I would love to have him! Thanks for the advice!! Is there anyway to tell the boys from the girls when they are 3 or 4 months old?

The boys will be way bigger than the females and have big old feet while the girls have quite dainty little feet
    [​IMG] see the girls little feet
    [​IMG] those are my boys at about 3-4 month.
    the sound different too. The boys only making a quiet hissing sound while the girls will have a weak little short quack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by