Genetics Question: Breeding for a sustainable blue egg gene.

K813ZRA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
Since I have been on BYC for awhile now I have seen a lot of threads asking why peoples EE's don't lay blue eggs. Or asking why if they cross two strains of EE the offspring don't all lay blue eggs. After reading such threads it is my understanding that this is because an EE receives one blue egg laying gene from one parent which means that the second generation could receive a blue egg gene, brown or white depending on the cross.

Now, my question is, if someone wanted to make something like an EE with a sustainable blue egg gene could they not just use parent stock that both lay blue eggs? For example a Cream Legbar over an Ameraucana? Would not the offspring then receive a blue egg gene from both parents meaning that the second generation offspring would also receive a blue egg gene from each of its parents?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but it just popped into my head after the daily "why aren't my easter eggers laying blue eggs" thread in my feed.

Thanks

EEs are mutts, so they're super variable. Some may have one copy of the blue egg gene, others two, others none. These days most have one copy and increasingly they have two, since demand for EEs mainly comes from the colored egg trait and hatcheries have been rushing to ensure their customers get those pretty blue and green eggs.

Yes, in order to be certain that all offspring are homozygous (pure) for the blue egg gene, you'd use two blue egg laying parents; Ameraucana X Ameraucana, Ameraucana X Araucana, Ameraucana X Cream Legar, and so on. With the right stock it wouldn't be hard to do.

Last edited:
EEs are mutts, so they're super variable. Some may have one copy of the blue egg gene, others two, others none. These days most have one copy and increasingly they have two, since demand for EEs mainly comes from the colored egg trait and hatcheries have been rushing to ensure their customers get those pretty blue and green eggs.

Yes, in order to be certain that all offspring are homozygous (pure) for the blue egg gene, you'd use two blue egg laying parents; Ameraucana X Ameraucana, Ameraucana X Araucana, Ameraucana X Cream Legar, and so on. With the right stock it wouldn't be hard to do.
Yeah, I realize they are a mixed breed but as I said this question comes up a lot so I was curious. What I find interesting is that I just looked at some hatcheries and many are listing new blue egg layer breeds that are not laybled as EE's but Sky Blue layers, big blue layers, super blue layers etc so maybe someone is already doing this. As I said it was just a curiosity thing as I am new to chickens. No making hybrids for me! I would be happy if one of my Buff Orpingtons goes broody next spring and hatches a few chicks, lol. They are not even laying yet so I am really new to this.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!

BTW, nice avatar, I am watching Supernatural right now!

Yeah, I realize they are a mixed breed but as I said this question comes up a lot so I was curious. What I find interesting is that I just looked at some hatcheries and many are listing new blue egg layer breeds that are not laybled as EE's but Sky Blue layers, big blue layers, super blue layers etc so maybe someone is already doing this. As I said it was just a curiosity thing as I am new to chickens. No making hybrids for me! I would be happy if one of my Buff Orpingtons goes broody next spring and hatches a few chicks, lol. They are not even laying yet so I am really new to this.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!

BTW, nice avatar, I am watching Supernatural right now!

As far as I know the Super Blue layers are usually blue egg layers (mostly Ameraucanas) crossed with Leghorns. This will result in 100% blue laying offspring, though the offspring themselves will still have only one copy of the blue egg gene and so won't breed completely true. It's done to improve laying ability I believe.

Thanks, Supernatural is my favorite TV show. Even if the quality goes up and down sometimes...

You sure can. I've made blue birds that lay blue eggs. It was a project of a few generations involving hatchery EE, pure Ameraucana, and barred Hollands. Right now I've got a breeding pen with a blue barred rooster who is pure for the blue egg gene over solid blue hens who are pure for the blue egg gene. I'm hoping to get some splash birds, and some more blue barred.

As Misha said, those blue eggers from the hatcheries often lay blue eggs, but have one blue and one white gene. They're bred for the color they lay, not for genetics for future generations.

Since I have been on BYC for awhile now I have seen a lot of threads asking why peoples EE's don't lay blue eggs. Or asking why if they cross two strains of EE the offspring don't all lay blue eggs. After reading such threads it is my understanding that this is because an EE receives one blue egg laying gene from one parent which means that the second generation could receive a blue egg gene, brown or white depending on the cross.

Now, my question is, if someone wanted to make something like an EE with a sustainable blue egg gene could they not just use parent stock that both lay blue eggs? For example a Cream Legbar over an Ameraucana? Would not the offspring then receive a blue egg gene from both parents meaning that the second generation offspring would also receive a blue egg gene from each of its parents?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but it just popped into my head after the daily "why aren't my easter eggers laying blue eggs" thread in my feed.

Thanks
read the following and take some notes. The genetics of egg shell color can be complicated.

http://maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf

caf.gif

You sure can. I've made blue birds that lay blue eggs. It was a project of a few generations involving hatchery EE, pure Ameraucana, and barred Hollands. Right now I've got a breeding pen with a blue barred rooster who is pure for the blue egg gene over solid blue hens who are pure for the blue egg gene. I'm hoping to get some splash birds, and some more blue barred.

As Misha said, those blue eggers from the hatcheries often lay blue eggs, but have one blue and one white gene. They're bred for the color they lay, not for genetics for future generations.

I know this is an old post but I hope I will get some answers.

I have a naked neck pullet that lays blue eggs (her mom laid off white eggs, her dad was pure araucana). I plan to breed her with a pure araucana roo. how many generations and how to select from them so that I get naked neck laying true blue eggs?

Back
Top Bottom