Genetics Question: Easter Eggers

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I have 6 roosters. 3 of them are Easter Eggers from Townline Hatchery. 1 is an ISA Brown also from Townline. 1 is a Silkie, but likely is not a possible daddy, I never see him mating with anyone, and 1 poor quality Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Ok, so that said. I have a bunch of EE pullets from Townline also. I have a broody hen and gave her 8 blue/green EE eggs to hatch. Will these offspring lay blue/green eggs as well? They could be fertilized by any of the above roosters.

You have more than 50% chances that they will lay blue or green eggs. Girls with Pea Combs have better chances to inherit the gene for blue eggs.

The correct answer is "it depends". The complete answer requires knowing more about the genetic make up of your hens. You know they have at least 1 copy of the gene for blue egg color (blue is dominant), but you can't be certain if they have 2 copies without test matings. If the hens do have 2 copies (homozygous for blue shells), then all of their progeny will lay blue or green eggs. If they have only 1 copy (heterozygous), then about 50% will lay blue or green eggs.

This demonstrates the desirability of using pure strains rather than mixed up birds, like the hatchery easter eggers. I have blue/black/splash Ameraucanas and every hen lays a consistent blue colored egg, and all their progeny will also. I create blue egg laying black sexlinks by using a black roo over some barred holland hens (lay white eggs). Every chick will carry the blue gene because the roo is homozygous for blue shells, no guesswork and no percentages - all of them.

But you can still have fun making your own crosses and see what you get. The uncertainty can be a nice thing, as long as you aren't selling them as laying a certain color egg.

Thank you for the replies. I am not breeding for show or standard, just to replenish my layers for a very tiny egg business, so really only asking because I was curious. I was unable to get a batch of EE chicks this year to rotate into my flock, so these 8 eggs are for that purpose. In about 10 months I will let you know what we ended up with as far as egg color is concerned.

I thought it was interesting that all of the EE's I got from townline lay a green or blue egg since they advise that really any color can come from them.

Hi I have a question about the blue/green egg gene. I have EE hens I have no idea on their background but if I bread them with a pure Ameraucana rooster would that give me a better chance of their offspring being blue/green egg layers?

Back
Top Bottom