genetics question

Quote:
A good point, not all that carry the gene for larger weight will be large.
Now all large birds will, so breed the largest males to the largest females.
If not belong long the small gene, will surface.

From the pair, most will be smaller birds with some carring the gene for larger birds.(only way to know is with their offspring)

If you think of the size like a color.

One 100% normal color the other say white = all will look normal color ,but carry the white gene.

Take one noramal color spilt white X white = both normal and white color, and normal split white.

Just replace white with 16oz, and normal color with 10 oz.

hope that helps.

Also as you know if you put a normal color in an all white flock, before long you would have alot of normal color chicks.

With color easy to see, with size best to weight.

Saddina....paperwork? did you see my post about quail feed? apparently i qualify as a "bean counter" after that post...

the color comparison that DEERMAN listed is how i was hoping it would break down, but according to ECOGEN it's much more complex than that ! ....which was what i expected, but i was hoping that quail would have genetics closer to a plant than that of the higher evolved species of our planet!!!

Oh well, gonna have to get me one of those computing devices you guys are talking about and put some soft wearable stuff on it. then once my purty thinking doll is ready, i'm gonna make her track down the quail genome so i can finally have a gosh darned 1 POUND QUAIL!!!!!
lol.png

Anyway, thanks for all the input folks!

jim, shoot me a pm with the link to that software.

Efficient growth and feed conversion is of course one of the goals, and improving your numbers is a good plan. Then again I married a science teacher, and worked as an accountant for a few years, hard data is just a given around here.

Quote:
Yes more than one gene at work here, and yes the envionment does effect the size. How they are fed if a big one.

Just trying to make it as simple to understand. Breeders need weigh recorded , as you cant see the differents like in colors.

If you breed from only the larger birds together you can lock the size in. The best way is to line breeds also.

Yes there are some 16oz. coturnix out their, dont be fool by a name like A & M, yes they were breed to be large. They have been bred my so many people, that bred them without selecting for size.

Last edited:
This is a line breeding chart for rabbits but you get the idea. The key is to have multiple lines (large population size) and cull aggressively. I think I have seen pics of you setup so you shouldn't have any problems with large numbers. With inbreeding strategies like this, you need to get the bad genes out - so cull heavy each generation. Most folks keep 1 out of 10 progeny.

Keep me posted if you do this. I haven't played with cortunix yet (just had my first pathetic hatch), so not sure how inbred you can go before outcrossing.

http://www.buksonline.com/show_rabbit_articles/LineBreedingChart.html

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Articles/LinageCharts.htm

Back
Top Bottom