Genetics - Runner x Welsh

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Me again, back with more genetic questions.

I have an incubator full of eggs with a high chance of some runner x Welsh crosses. Curious what I can expect from the crosses. Here's what I have...

Silver Phase Welsh Drake over black runner hen & silver runner hen

Silver phase Welsh duck under b&w Ancona patterned runner drake & blue runner with a wonky bib

Any insight would be appreciated.
Pics of runners included.

Attachments

• PXL_20240302_182343921.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240302_182343921.PORTRAIT.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240302_182456719.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240302_182456719.PORTRAIT.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240302_182441660.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240302_182441660.PORTRAIT.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240201_160546427.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240201_160546427.PORTRAIT.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230830_210821084.PORTRAIT (1).jpg
    PXL_20230830_210821084.PORTRAIT (1).jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 6
The harlequin allele is recessive so it should not show up in any of the crosses you mentioned. The first cross should give black or blue ducks. The second cross with the Ancona type drake should result in similar Ancona type ducklings. The blue drake would produce blue or black ducklings (most likely with bibs).

The harlequin allele is recessive so it should not show up in any of the crosses you mentioned. The first cross should give black or blue ducks. The second cross with the Ancona type drake should result in similar Ancona type ducklings. The blue drake would produce blue or black ducklings (most likely with bibs).
Thanks for the reply!

Ok awesome! So it would be pretty safe to say that any Harlequin duckling hatched from an egg from my Welsh is pure Welsh? I only had the breeds separated for just under 3 weeks when I loaded the incubator so I'm unsure if they will all be mixed or some pure.

I guess there really is no way to tell if the runners are pure aside from if their shape and stance are noticably runner? I'm assuming any of the ducklings hatched from a runner egg that present the Ancona type markings are pure runner?

Thanks for the reply!

Ok awesome! So it would be pretty safe to say that any Harlequin duckling hatched from an egg from my Welsh is pure Welsh? I only had the breeds separated for just under 3 weeks when I loaded the incubator so I'm unsure if they will all be mixed or some pure.

I guess there really is no way to tell if the runners are pure aside from if their shape and stance are noticably runner? I'm assuming any of the ducklings hatched from a runner egg that present the Ancona type markings are pure runner?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, you’ve got it!

Ok... So if I was to breed 2 Welsh x runner crosses (neither expressing Harlequin) would the offspring express Harlequin?
25% probability, yes. I gave a friend eggs from my Welsh Harlequin hen and Khaki drake to hatch. A couple years later I was at her house and up walked what looked just like a Welsh drake. He was the grandson of my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom