Georgia Giant Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by birdman101, Sep 15, 2009.

1. birdman101

birdman101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    North Carolina
    Just wondering if anyone is raising the Georgia Gaints and how difficult they are to raise?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ok Birdman Define Difficult.....

I Mean Difficult To Raise As Compared To What?

They Are A Bob White Speces. As Far As Having Said That They Are No Different Than The Rest Of The Bobs To Raise. What Have You Had Or Do You Have To Compare Them To And I'll Try To Enlighten You! [​IMG]

3. birdman101

birdman101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    North Carolina
    I've got Jumbo cotrunix quail now but have had the regular bob whites in the past. I was wondering about picking issues as I had them with the bobs.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yes Indeed They Can Be Lil Peck Monsters. And Of Course They Will Be Spaz Cases Like The Other Bobs You Had In The Past.

They Will Be Very Very Different Than Any Type Of Coturnix Behavior Wise That Is. They Are Flighty And Flush At The Drop Of A Hat (pinioning Helps Greatly And Tames The Spaz Case In Them Quite A Bit)

They Are For Lack Of A Better Explaination The Same As You Have Had In The Past, Except These Will Be Bigger Thru Selective Breeding. In My Experience Almost All Bob Speces Are Extremely Similar In Behavior With The Butlers Being The Exception=== They Are More Mellow And Easier To Handle. They Seem To Peck Less, But Still Do.

Hope This Helps, If Not Pm Me With Specific Questions And I'll Help Where I Can!

5. seashelley

seashelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hey there! Love all the conversation about the Quail. I was wondering, do Georgia Giants mate for life or can there be one roo to a certain ratio of females? Thanks so much!

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    couple quick vids of my bobwhites.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Georgia Giants are nice hefty birds. If you pair them up you can select your weight and strain better. Love the GGs! You should check them out. I have found them much calmer than other strains of bobs and these are what I would recommend to anyone who want nice meat birds.

8. Gmize

Gmize New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    What age does the Georgia Giants begin to lay?

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not trying to be a smart arse but when they get ready they will lay. I've had my Bob's for a year now & have not gotten the first egg.

10. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    X-2 ....cva34

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by