German shepherd

Duckgirl97

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
I have a 6 month old German shepherd pup. He came from a guy that hunted with dogs. This guy even spent 2500 on a dog to hunt. But anyway I have chickens and he chases and gets my chickens he will hold them down and not let it up he does not try and kill them he just holds them there. I want him to stop touching them period. How do I get around to this? He s agood dog and he know he knows the word gentle and will be gentle but still he holds them.

It's best if you don't allow him to have that kind of access to your birds unless and until he knows exactly what you expect of him. Always keep him on lead while around your chickens and correct him if he touches them. "Leave it" is a good command to teach, not just for chickens, but also anything else you don't want him to mess with. Being as he is only 6 months old it may take awhile to completely sink in, but he will eventually learn and most likely be safe around them. All my Shepherds have gone through that stage. They know they're not allowed to kill the chickens, so they then try just holding them down and nudging or licking them. I was actually able to teach one very special GSD to go and catch the one chicken or turkey I wanted her to by pointing at it. Then she would hold it unharmed until I got there, a very helpful skill :)

Start over with training!!! On leash 100% of the time now, and get this fixed because you will have dead birds. Right now those poor birds are stressed severely, so wrong.
And the 'leave it!' command, essential for every dog to learn anyway. On leash for months, first the six foot lead, then twenty feet, then maybe an electric collar. He needs to learn that this whole sequence of behaviors is so wrong...
Mary

Well
It's best if you don't allow him to have that kind of access to your birds unless and until he knows exactly what you expect of him. Always keep him on lead while around your chickens and correct him if he touches them. "Leave it" is a good command to teach, not just for chickens, but also anything else you don't want him to mess with. Being as he is only 6 months old it may take awhile to completely sink in, but he will eventually learn and most likely be safe around them. All my Shepherds have gone through that stage. They know they're not allowed to kill the chickens, so they then try just holding them down and nudging or licking them. I was actually able to teach one very special GSD to go and catch the one chicken or turkey I wanted her to by pointing at it. Then she would hold it unharmed until I got there, a very helpful skill :)
He does what yu say hold the chickens without hurting them. But he won't release when needed. Also I don't intentionally let him out on them but he tends to slip his harness alot. He also has a hearing problem when in the process of doing what he wants. But I will try the leave it method he knows what that means for other things so I'll try that with the chickens.

I had a Newfoundland with zero hunting skills who did this exact thing, he'd "pin them," I found him laying down with his monster arms on the spread out chicken wings, both of them frozen as if he was defying the chicken to move. It has to be that prey drive in most dogs just got the best of him with chicken movement. Since then I found that with all of my dogs it's a movement thing. My Leonberger (similar to shepherd,) isn't interested in chickens until they run. Something about them running totally triggers her to go after them. Anyhow.... That "pinned" chicken died overnight from shock. So I would not allow my Newfie access to the chickens anymore and I started "chicken training," with him and every dog after him. On leash, BE NICE TO CHICKENS, let him sniff, rub his back with side and back with chicken, done. Eventually, chicken is on ground, let him sniff, if he takes a step, STAY and LEAVE IT. Takes as long as it takes as every breed is different. Shepherds are so smart, you'll have him trained in no time! I love Sheppies!!! 😍

Like I said he was with a guy that hunted. I'm going to assume his behavior is from that. He does not kill my chickens and I honestly can say I don't think he will. But that fact is he is big for his age and he can get rough just playing. But he knows what leave it is for other things. But I've never thought to introduce that when it comes to the chickens. He has potential just needs a little more correction. Also he was on a 6ft then went to a 15 ft he does great as long as the chickens are not in sight. I put them up if I'm going to be off leash but like I said he slips his harness when he is out for just 10-15 mins a time.
Start over with training!!! On leash 100% of the time now, and get this fixed because you will have dead birds. Right now those poor birds are stressed severely, so wrong.
And the 'leave it!' command, essential for every dog to learn anyway. On leash for months, first the six foot lead, then twenty feet, then maybe an electric collar. He needs to learn that this whole sequence of behaviors is so wrong

I had a Newfoundland with zero hunting skills who did this exact thing, he'd "pin them," I found him laying down with his monster arms on the spread out chicken wings, both of them frozen as if he was defying the chicken to move. It has to be that prey drive in most dogs just got the best of him with chicken movement. Since then I found that with all of my dogs it's a movement thing. My Leonberger (similar to shepherd,) isn't interested in chickens until they run. Something about them running totally triggers her to go after them. Anyhow.... That "pinned" chicken died overnight from shock. So I would not allow my Newfie access to the chickens anymore and I started "chicken training," with him and every dog after him. On leash, BE NICE TO CHICKENS, let him sniff, rub his back with side and back with chicken, done. Eventually, chicken is on ground, let him sniff, if he takes a step, STAY and LEAVE IT. Takes as long as it takes as every breed is different. Shepherds are so smart, you'll have him trained in no time! I love Sheppies!!! 😍
Well luckily this is been going on for weeks now no chicken has died. I did have one faint on him and I thought she dead but as soon as I released him she took off. But he is hard headed right now. So I will try all these methods and see where we get.

And we've raised several Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, a pointer, and Dalmations, who all learned that the chickens belonged here and were off limits. The retrievers and the pointer were also trained bird dogs, BTW, and had no problems telling the difference.
Mary

Well

He does what yu say hold the chickens without hurting them. But he won't release when needed. Also I don't intentionally let him out on them but he tends to slip his harness alot. He also has a hearing problem when in the process of doing what he wants. But I will try the leave it method he knows what that means for other things so I'll try that with the chickens.
Young dogs, just like human youngsters, tend to have very convenient hard of hearing problems. :) Stick with it, he's just a pup, he'll get it if you are consistent. Holding them down is part and parcel to hunting and killing them, so do not allow him to do that, whether he's hurting them or not.

Back
Top Bottom