Gesundheit!

brownysfp

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Correze, France
A recent survey (http://www.france24.com/en/20110802...-who-study-research-headlines-antidepressants) had my fellow countrymen the most miserable nation on earth. Hmm, not sure on that but the most hypochondriac - well, hands down winners. I'm x-ing my fingers and toes for when they read about the resurgent mutated avian flu that's sweeping through Asia and headed all points west. The villagers'll be outside with their pitchforks and flaming torches for sure.

How awful====

get a sign that says 'bio hazard research station" (except in French of course)--- and when they come with pitch forks, tell them that you are an experimental site for 'the cure' but they had better high-tail it away or they will be come infected. Tell them that they will be the first in line for 'the cure' once it is developed, but if they harmed your flock they would set the research back (pick a number---100?) years. I know it is preposterous...but if your villiagers are gullible.....who knows? I think my imagination is set wild by the image of pitchforks and the rememberance of Frankenstein movie in B & W.

Seriously -- hopefully you have no problems. Good luck!

I don't know about Barons, ChicKat, but we've more than our fair share of Ygors knocking about!
I can't imagine it'll any more of a problem than it was last time round. It might even help our egg sales: one of the village ladies has just started buying her eggs from us rather than the supermarket. I'm hoping she'll word of mouth us as a local restaurant cut its order as the season finished early with some atrocious weather. OK, hardly Irene-level but enough to trash and flood the campsites and send the vacationers packing.

brownysfp

They say word of mouth is the best advertising....so they will be coming with empty egg-cartons and not pitch forks! (Still a quite vivid image!)

-- Do your have ISA Browns? Weren't they invented in France?

Too bad about an early end to the tourist season. Agriculture/livestock is such a roll of the dice. Sometimes I wonder why people do it----but then where would we be without folks who grow the things that we eat? I guess it is a good time for everyone with a flock to be a little pro-active and have some resources at hand to counteract avian flu fears that will probably arise when the weather is bad this year.

Last edited:
They say word of mouth is the best advertising....so they will be coming with empty egg-cartons and not pitch forks! (Still a quite vivid image!)
We live between two hamlets, the mayor of one is pro-English. The other would happily see us kicked back across the Channel. So I've a pretty good idea where those pitchforks'll be coming from...
Anyway, she does turn up with with empty cartons; we've got quite a few knocking about, the usual 6s and 12s but also some 9s and 10s but bringing her own was good.

-- Do your have ISA Browns? Weren't they invented in France?
Yes, the Institut de Selection Animale crossed RIRs and RIWs back in the 70s. I started off with four of those as they're the most common to buy at market.
Copper Black Marans are the next most usual, in some areas easier to find than ISAs. Cuckoo de France I've only seen twice at market so I always buy them on sight.
CBMs and CdFs are good layers, CdFs good sitters though can lack the maternal touch later. Our other French breeds are Dark Faverolles and Mottled Houdans, both a bit too young to breed.

Too bad about an early end to the tourist season. Agriculture/livestock is such a roll of the dice.
April and May were beautiful, June wasn't; July was average, August had a poor start but rallied until the end of last week when I thought Europe suddenly had a monsoon season!
The hens still haven't got back in laying rhythm after Friday's efforts. It's back to being nice again - I don't know about making hay while the sun shines but it's the right time to sort out those coop repairs.

Agriculture/livestock is such a roll of the dice.
The farming here is mainly livestock, cattle at that. Where I used to live, in the Vienne department, it's nearly all crops. It's far more temperate there; we're higher therefore colder and can have some pretty rough winters.

How is life in Texas, if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom