Get babies away from mother.

fgdiii

Songster
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Rustburg
I have read on here a number of times that guinea hens are not good mothers but I still wanted my newly born chicks that mother brought to the barn to stay with their mother. So I caught them all mother and babies and put them in a pen. Several ran away but mother stomped most of them and out of 14, I was only able to save 4. As soon as they are born. get them from their mother and put them in a brooder. Of the 4 I saved, 2 looked almost dead. They were cold and lying on their side. We thought at least 1 would die but I put them under a lamp and 2 days later (this morning) they all looked great. Please save your babies if you can.

Use chicken hens to hatch and raise. My hens will even take on additional little ones they don't even hatch or help out another hen. I let my chicken hens hatch and raise Guineas & they have done a very good job (hatched in August and still have not weaned them). I have two Buckeye hens raising 9 together; the hens forage with them together. They had hatched two more that got cold and died the first week but the rest of them have made it. The Rooster has even led around the keets.

The 5 keets my OEG hatched, she has not lost a one! One of hers was a weak white one but she has thrived with my OEG who is always a great mother (not her first dance -- she has hatched and raised many chicks for me over the years). They are still following her around but are bigger than she is (that is the OEG in the middle of her keets):
IM001186.jpg

Yep, Chicken Mothers all the way!
thumbsup.gif

I had a broody hen setting on 0 eggs in the coop, I got 2 guinea keets from a friend + 12 guineas eggs and 1 2 - 3 week old chick. She sat on the eggs and adopted the 2 keets and the chicken!
love.gif

I had to move the chicken in with the other chickens, but left the 2 keets with her, 4 of the 12 hatched and they're currently about 1 1/2 months old and the 2 older keets are about 2 - 3 months old. She is a great mom, she takes them around the yard and out in the pasture and then at night she brings them back to the front yard and takes them into the hutch.

momma hen
Picture029-3.jpg

just hatching
Picture021-4.jpg

few days old
Picture045-1.jpg

Picture044-1.jpg

Picture034-2.jpg

about a week old
Picture055-1.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture061-2.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture062-2.jpg

about 3 weeks old
Picture002-1-1.jpg

Picture001-1-1.jpg

Picture004-4.jpg

Picture003-4.jpg

about 4 weeks old
Picture019-1.jpg

Picture018-1-1.jpg

now just some random pics of them growing up because i forget how old they are
theres only 3 now cause i sold the rest of them
and heres them a few days ago still hangin out with mom even though she went broody and hatched out 2 chicks

Picture051-1.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture054-2.jpg

Picture055-3.jpg

Picture056-3.jpg

Picture057-3.jpg

Picture058-1.jpg

Picture060-3.jpg

Picture061-3.jpg

Picture045-2.jpg

Picture046-2.jpg

Picture047-2.jpg

Picture048-2.jpg

Picture050-3.jpg

the lavender pied is a male the lavender is a female and the pearl pied is also a female; the guineas dont bother the chicks; they watch out for them; serve as a 3 pair of eyes cause 8 eyes is better then 2 when it comes to watchin baby chicks

enjoy

Last edited:
Those are great pics! Were you able to take a broody hen, put her in the cage and put eggs under her in there? I have often wondered if that would work - I didn't know for sure if the nest that the broody was on had to be the one that SHE made or if she'd set whereever you set her.

if your talking about me... she hatched them in one of the nesting boxes from the eggs i found out in the weeds from my guinea hen
when she hatched them i let them dry then put them in the cage
each morning after the dew was off the grass i took them out of the cage and the hen took them outside then at night when she would bring them all back in i would put them back in the cage
did this for about 1 week them they could go whenever they wanted with the hen

DEFENITLY GONNA HATCH MORE THIS SPRING... MAYBE PUT 20 UNDER HER
BUT THEM AGAIN IM THINKING THE WAY MY FEMALE GUINEAS ARE ACTING THEYLL LAY IN THE COOP AND HATCH BABIES IN THE COOP AND I CAN MONITOR THEM THAT WAY
THE GUINEAS NEVER ROAM FROM THE COOP ALWAYS STAY WITHIN 30 YARDS OF THE COOP
VERY WELL BEHAVED

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom