Get in line girls....pile up at the egg nesting box ( es).

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littleandlewis, Mar 12, 2012.

1. littleandlewis

littleandlewis Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    We have a lovely chicken coop that has 3 nest boxes one on top of the other. Our six hens only use the bottom nest box and seem to be happy...laying an egg and getting out for the next hen.

Yesterday they all wanted to lay at the same time creating not only a waiting line but 2 or 3 of them cramming into the lower nesting box to try and lay. Is this a problem? Or will they sort it out among themselves?

By the end of the day we had 6 beautiful eggs nestled in the box. For some reason they have no interest in the upper next boxes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Ethridgechixs

Ethridgechixs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I would put the nest boxes next to each other instead of on top of eachother. this may help too but I know alot of them will choose to use the same box. you may want to look into setting up a larger community nest box for them as well.

3. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Are all the nest boxes well stuffed????? Put all the nest boxes at the same height. Go to www.mypetchicken.com and read from their free e book about raising chickens chapter 5.[​IMG]

4. littleandlewis

littleandlewis Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    The nest boxes are built in.... so I can't move them. I can put others in...

My partner wondered if putting a ramp up to the second level would help...built it is an easy leap for them up and I'm not sure the ramp would encourage their use of that upper box.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three boxes side-by-side and all 12 hens use the same one. Don't stress over it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have 10 boxes and my ladies use about 5 of them, but 1 is there favorite. They'll line up to lay in that box and if one is not fast enough, another will will just get inside with her:) No worries, they are fine!

7. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have 5 nest boxes, all in a row. They (pullets) only use one. Waiting in line for their turn. Same set up in all my coops (4), same waiting in line for one box from them also. However, its not always the same box, sometimes they pick a different box???.

8. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ...Get used to it.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yep, get used to it. They will all want the same box no matter what or where your boxes are. :p

[​IMG]

10. http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/a-family-affair/

Today we had a line and ended up moving out one of our other portable nesting boxes (which is inside and being used by the current house chicken). In the end, they used their favorite boxes, and things are again quiet outside.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by