Get off the coop!

Goodfolk

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2015
Houston
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY][GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Hi all!

Our hens are preferring to roost on top of the coop, rather than in it. It is irritating, because they get there before ready to put them away, and they poop on the top, making a big mess. It's not that we mind grabbing them up and put them into the coop, we just want them to go there first, so all we have to do is shut the door.

What can we put on top that will encourage them not to sit up there?

Grateful thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 9
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY][GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Hi all!

Our hens are preferring to roost on top of the coop, rather than in it. It is irritating, because they get there before ready to put them away, and they poop on the top, making a big mess. It's not that we mind grabbing them up and put them into the coop, we just want them to go there first, so all we have to do is shut the door.

What can we put on top that will encourage them not to sit up there?

Grateful thanks in advance!

My hens do the same thing! They want to roost as high as they can. Maybe put some roosting bars in their coop? I haven't tried this yet but I hear you can put wire mesh or metal sheets on the top of the coop so the hens don't roost there. Hope it helps!

How many chickens do you have, and how big (in feet by feet) is that coop? It could be that it's too crowded and/or stuffy for them to be comfortable.
We have three adult hens. They free range all day in the backyard, the coop is just for sleeping. The coop is about 3 x 4, with two roosting rods, and plenty of air blows through.

My hens do the same thing! They want to roost as high as they can. Maybe put some roosting bars in their coop? I haven't tried this yet but I hear you can put wire mesh or metal sheets on the top of the coop so the hens don't roost there. Hope it helps!
We've got two roosting bars in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom