Get the Yellow Out!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Now, I was told to use the 'blue' whitening shampoo on my white silkie to get his feathers to a nice shine and glow. I gave him a bath last night in some blue whitening dog shampoo I was able to find by Oster. I'm guessing that isn't going to cut it? As his top knot and neck feathers are still very yellow.
sad.png

So what I am wondering is if a second bath today would help or make a difference? Anything else I can try to get it out that is ok/safe for him?

Also, as far as points in judging.... how much with yellow'd feathers cost me? Enough I should keep bathing him when I know he doesn't like it?

Thanks for all advice!!!

All depends on how yellow we are talking. If its just a tiny bit yellow, probably will not matter too much but you can get marked down for color at a show for brassiness, if its quite noticable. Also depends on what the resoning is for your yellowing. If its food or from the sun, then probably no amount of washing will help, the bird will just have to molt out on its own.

Some things I know people have used on birds (not myself) whitening dog shampoo, Cowboy Magic stain remover for grass stained or other stained white animals, Mrs Stewards Blueing, Peroxide, OxiClean spray on feet, Brite White, which is in the cleaning area of some stores (I know in walmart it is where the plumbing supplies are in like hardware)

I personally just use a really good brand of dog shampoo. The key is with whiteneing shapmoo, the soap has to stay on the feathers for about 5 minutes to soak in. Thats a long time to hold a cold wet bird really. Blueing and the soaps both also work best a few days before the show as it takes a few days for it to brighten in the sun I have heard.

Well he is not the prettiest white around his head and top knot (and foot feathering) he likes to dig and flip around in dirt near the compost when he's out. I probably shouldn't have left him continue to dirt bath and roam the last few weeks before a show! LOL

I'm watching to see if the sun with sun bleach the whitening shampoo into working. We'll see.... Any other advice before a show would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
tongue.png

If he doesn't look any whiter tomorrow... I will do one last bath and that's it. The show starts Wens. and judging will be done Wens. about an hour after I drop him off.

Back
Top Bottom