Get them vaccinated or not?

Another thing to consider... if you have them vaccinated, they're supposed to be on non-medicated chick starter; medicated feed neutralizes the vaccination.

My local feed store doesn't carry non-medicated starter any more, so any money I'd spent on vaccinations would have been wasted.

Kathy in Texas

PS: My chicks are due from Ideal tomorrow! I can't wait to pick 'em up and see what I got. I ordered 30 of the "hatchery choice" bantams for $1.30 each, and I hope they threw some cuties in there.

Quote:
Again, I think you may be confusing the two different vaccines. If you get your chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis you don't feed medicated chick starter.
Vaccinating for Marek's won't change a thing about the coccidiosis risk. One is a parasitic infestation (coccidiosis) and one is a disease (Marek's).
I'm right now looking at Murray McMurray's 2009 catalog. On the back page it lists information on the vaccines. It says regarding coccidiosis you have two choices: "1) Have us vaccinate your birds (for coccidiosis) and not use medicated feed. OR 2) Use a medicated feed containing a coccidiostat."
This is in bold type under the info. on coccidiosis.
There is no such warning about using a medicated or non-medicated feed with regards to Marek's.
Someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
I already heard back from my extension office and they haven't had a report of any outbreaks in years! So I am skipping it too.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Kathy!
That is only true of cocci, not of Mareks. If you have them vaccinated for Mareks, they still should be fed medicated feed to avoid the cocci.
Christina

Interesting, I just read a thread about this. I have 2 rirs that were not vaccinated and they were fed medicated chix feed, I have 7 on order with mpc and requested no vaccination and plan on using the same chix starter.

There is no mareks that I have heard of anywhere near me, My flock will be a small flock from hatcheries, so I dont need the vaccination. correct?? If I do need to is this something I can purchase and vaccinate them at home?

Back
Top Bottom