Get This!

ShoshoneAZ

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
So at 1:30 in the morning last night we discovered a bear out by our coop, and after chasing it away, we realized that it Tore Off the side of the run to our chicken coop and tried to get a chicken. Unfortunately it was succesful and i guess got one but the chick got away or something because we found it in the bushes nearby. It has an injury to its leg.. I cant find anything specific but its not broken, i think he must have a injury on the upper part but there are so many feathers, some matted, that i cant seem to find anything. (It did have some blood so it must be a cut or something) We have the chicken, who is a young Black sexlink hen, in a basket watching over her. She seems to be doing fine, except she doesnt walk, only limps a few steps and lays down. Also she is not eating. I have gotten her to drink regularly so I think that is good plus when I take her out to get some fresh air and be with the other chickens for a while she pecks at the ground while laying down. Right now she is asleep but she will often perk up so I think with a little rest and some healing time she might get better. My question is, is there anything else I can do to help her and what can I do to try to get her to eat? Thanks

~The 14 Year Old Chicken Owner~

sorry about the bear attack, I would try to find the wound, clip the feathers around the area if you need to and clean it with warm water and soap. Or an antibacterial wound spray if you have one. If the wound seems shallow then just keep it clean and apply neosporin (the kind without painkiller in it) Keep her in a warm, quiet spot until she heals up- then you can put her back in. If possible put her where the others can see her for a bit everyday so they don't think she is a stranger when she returns to the flock. Good luck! I hope you can keep that bear away! Maybe some electric fencing will help.

Sorry about the attack.

Continue to keep her warm and separate from the others as you are doing. Try to entice her to eat something like scrambled egg or her mash wet down to a sort of baby food consistency. Also, because she's drinking, you can get some vitamins to add to her water that will help with the stress.

Watch, and smell, the matted spot on her side where she may have been bitten. Sometimes having puncture wounds stay closed works to let the chicken fight the injury and its problems on their own. But not always.

Chances are she has a puncture wound from the bear and it may become infected. At this point you'll want to decide how much energy you want to put into helping her. Warm, wet saline compresses on the injured spot are a good way to try to open the wound to see if it will drain. This will take a few days of regular treatments throughout the day.

There are also antibiotics available at farm supply stores for chickens; someone else here will have to help you with the dosages because I haven't had to use any yet (small sigh of relief).

You've made a good start, continue this. Good luck.
Mary

P.S. I understand bears are greatly discouraged by electric fences.

Back
Top Bottom