Getting 3 week old chicks tomorrow

MDchicks2547

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
We are finally getting our chicks tomorrow and there are 3 weeks old. Have a brooder set up in the garage. Do I still need to keep them at 95 degrees or cooler? And once they are feathered out we can put them in the coop and not let them out in the run if its too cool?

We are newbies at this and are so excited to welcome our new feathered friends!!

You should be good at about 80 degrees.

Typically it's 95 degrees for 1st week and then lowering it 5 degrees each week so lowering it to 90 when they turn 1 week, 85 when they turn 2 weeks, and 80 at 3 weeks.

Just keep an eye on their behavior. If they are huddling under the lamp peeping loudly they are cold. If they are staying as far away from the lamp as possible with their beeks open they are too hot. If they're running around in and out of the heat they are just fine.

Have fun! And post pictures!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely post pictures. I don't think we know what kind they will be so we may need help identifying them. So excited!!
smile.png

Thanks for the info. I will definitely post pictures. I don't think we know what kind they will be so we may need help identifying them. So excited!!
smile.png

It seems you are getting a surprise package.

You could just put the light and the chicks in the coop. The chicks will move toward the light if they are cold and away from the light if they are too warm.

Last edited:
Got our chicks. We think we have 2 Rhode Island Reds and from there we are not sure. One thing we have found already is it only takes them a moment or two to fall asleep when you hold them.
smile.png

Last edited:
Got our chicks. We think we have 2 Rhode Island Reds and from there we are not sure. One thing we have found already is it only takes them a moment or two to fall asleep when you hold them.
smile.png

Surprise!

Hopefully in a few weeks you (and this board) will be able to determine what breeds they are.

It looks like you have a good variety.

Last edited:
So fun! Depending on where you live you may be able to bring them out sooner. Plus bringing them each day out in the sun in your backyard would be wonderful for them! Set out a picnic blanket and watch their cuteness. Gets them used to outside so it's not a huge transition.

Back
Top Bottom