Getting 4 new hens! Help choosing breeds!

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there
smile.png

We are going to a chicken show on Saturday, and want to know if you guys can help us pick the breeds meant for us and our area. We have lots of room, so that's not an issue. It's just that we live in Canada (COLD >_<) so, we want hens that will be more likely to survive the winter. We already have a mille fleur d'uccle that is cold already, so we might have to house her in the cold months indoors.

Anyway.. We have the following we are considering:

Jersey Giant
Maran
Chanteceler (if they have any..)
Wyandotte
Delaware
Orpington (Pretty sure getting this one)

We would also love a Frizzle or a Sizzle
tongue.png
Currently we have 2 polish, one barred rock, a silkie, a polish mixed (has total vision), and a d'uccle.

They all get along great. All from different original flocks.

I think the few we picked above are cold-hardy. We want friendly birds - this is a must. They should also be decent layers. Not an egg a day per-say, but 4 a week would be wonderful. We want to supply our extended family with eggs, so yeah.
tongue.png

Thanks for all your help!

Oh and if it matters, we free-range our chickens, no predators around really (live in village), but we do have a run if they don't do well free-range.

fyi - Marans has a S at the end, plural or not.
smile.png

I highly suggest you get yourself an Easter Egger (or Ameraucana, or Araucana) or two or three. . . . I don't see how people don't get bored of seeing the same brown eggs day after day.
tongue.png

Easter Eggers are very cold hardy, and also have a small pea comb and beard/muffs to help.

Also, get some Marans too but I wouldn't recommend getting the Cuckoo type. Their egg color isn't much darker than a normal brown, most of the time.

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
Was rushing my question
tongue.png

I would love some easter eggers, but I've had a hard time finding them around my area believe it or not
hmm.png
The ones that are, lay pink eggs. I would really like some blue eggs!
roll.png

I'll see if they have any at the show. I live in a farming province, so I'm sure there will be a lot to choose from!

Yeah I hear Canada has a poor selection of blue or green layers compared to us. . . Good luck though!
smile.png

Quote:
Already have a barred rock
tongue.png
Though we would consider breeding them. Definitely my favourite so far! My barred rock Dixie is the sweetest one! <3

Why not get a different coloured rock then? Mine is silver pencilled. Gorgeous little lady thats her on the left, sorry I don't have a better pic, she looks even better in real life (and good lighting! lol)
IMG_0663.jpg

wyandottes and jersy giants. i have them in florida wyadottes were bred in new york and i have to trim vent feathers sometimes. all i know is they are thickly feathered.

I have BJG's, BRLW, Ops and Dominiques. They hold up very well in our tempetous rainy cold climate.

As for personalities my BRL Wynattoes are very personal and quirky. My Ops are a little bit more standoffish, but sweet. The Black Jerseys are my largest and I think prettiest. They are the least friendly in the sense of letting me pet them but they still eat from my hand and follow me. The Doms are by far my friendliest, they learned tricks very quickly also.

All the chickens that you chose are cold hearty, but the friendliness of them will be up to you. All chickens can be nice. If you put in enough time and attention they will make great pets.

Back
Top Bottom