Getting a BB White Turkey for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bryan8, Oct 13, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry PC, I disagree, I think it is quite worthwhile doing a single turkey oneself.

I've only processed 3 turkeys, but my main advice would be, do not think you will save yourself some time by skinning them. Judging by other peoples' posts it isn't just me, turkeys *are* way harder to skin than a chicken. In any other respect though they are the same as doing a chicken, just bigger. (Actually I found that bigger made it easier to get the innards out, as my hand fits in there better than in a 3-lbs-live-wt sussex cockerel [​IMG])

You can dry-pluck if you can't find a big enough scalding container, except you will want to use your biggest-available scalding container to scald the *wings*, otherwise you will never get the flight feathers out. Dry plucking takes a little longer and you have to be a little more careful not to rip the skin but it is not at all difficult, start on the back or somewhere else that mistakes won't show (i.e don't start on the breast [​IMG]) and you will find it goes pretty well. You have the advantage of a white turkey so some pinfeathers left in will not be a big deal.

Mine were a little older than yours will be; I aged for 3 days in the fridge, brined for the final 12 hours (then rinse real well), cooked with foil over the turkey til the last half hour, and it came out WONDERFUL [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: