Getting a hen primary for brooding

I have 2 Wyandotte’s- one is broody constantly, and the other has never been broody in her life.

If you want 2 broody hens you might need to play it safe and get a few extras, or better still get some hens that have proven their broodiness.
You’re so right about it taking the pressure off, a good broody does almost all the work ! :)

Another thing to consider, I have a theory that some flocks have more broodiness than others. Recently I did a do over. 4 hens, and 3 have gone broody this fall. The woman I got the chickens from - had a lot of broody hens, they were all crossbreeds.

I do think light has something to do with it, but I am not sure what. Mine in northern America - tend to go broody in late May/early June.... Late July.... and then in September/October.

I have 2 Wyandotte’s- one is broody constantly, and the other has never been broody in her life.

If you want 2 broody hens you might need to play it safe and get a few extras, or better still get some hens that have proven their broodiness.
You’re so right about it taking the pressure off, a good broody does almost all the work ! :)
Yes. I drew an easy breath when my duck sat on her nest and I didn't have to deal with them myself. I've got eggs in the incubator and other a broody duck. It would've been too stressful to deal with both batches so close together.

I have an Araucana that has gone broody once every year for 4 years to date, and a Norfolk Grey that went broody twice, then three times, then not at all, in the last three years, so there can be huge variability even with the same bird! Buying a mature hen who is a proven broody might be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom