1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting a sick chicken in the carrier

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mimi'sGirl, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Mimi'sGirl

Mimi'sGirl New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    I have a really sick chicken that I'm taking to the vet tomorrow, if I can get an appointment. What is the best way to get her into the carrier? Do I just grab her and stuff her in? She'll hate that. I did not raise her from infancy, so she is not used to being handled.

There must be a good way to do this. Please help.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome Mimi's girl,

Sorry your chicken is sick.

When they aren't used to us they can be difficult to handle.

You may want to get her from her roosting place while it is still dark. Or even the night before (like now)--- and put her in the carrier. Chickens will sleep in the dark, so she won't even know exactly the difference between carrier and coop in the dark IMO.

If she struggles, you may want to use a small tea-towel/hand-towel to help wrap her and restrain her if you aren't used to handling chickens. When they are scared and flailing they can scratch pretty well with their toes.

Hope it goes smoothly for you. Good luck!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    A carrier will be ok but don't just "stuff" her in there. Can you get her tonight when she is less active and gently place her in the carrier tonight? Place a towel over the carrier so not so frighten or alarm her in the morning. Put some water in there with her tonight.

What is wrong with her?

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by