Getting a turkey

chickenlover91

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Hello all! We live right in the middle of town and we are thinking about getting a turkey hen! We already have 17 chickens and 4 ducks, but we need to know how loud they are. Do they make alot of noise? Are they friendly to chickens and ducks? Would we need to clip there wings? Do they lay a "good" amount of eggs? Are they good in cold and warm weather? Are they friendly to humans? Do they eat a ton of food? Any help with these questions would be great!

Hello, I think it would be unwise to get just one turkey hen. Turkeys need turkeys in my opinion. Turkeys are normally seasonal layers. If you light the coop, they will lay anytime, as mine did.

They aren't really noisy, they really make delightful little sounds. Of course, if you get a tom, they will gobble, which can be very noisy.

They do eat more than chickens, and they need a higher level of protein in their feed than chickens do. Also, chickens are sometimes be carriers of blackhead disease (which they will show no signs of), but this can kill a turkey. Turkeys will get it from stepping in the chickens feces. Alot of people, including myself, do raise chickens and turkeys together without problems, but there's always the possibility of them getting this Blackhead disease from chickens. It is deadly to them.

Turkeys will fly. Especially a hen. They will be friendly to humans if they are socialized at a young age.

So this is the list of things we should do that i put together from your ideas

1: Two turkeys are better than one.
2: They lay eggs often if you light the coop.
3: They aren't really noisy.
4: They eat a bit more than chickens and need more protein in there food.
5: be on the lookout for blackhead disease, that is caused be chickens and can be deadly for turkeys.
6: clip their wings because they do fly!
7: They are very friendly if they are raised in a loving family from a chick.

My turkey hen is very loud! She was laying a few weeks ago and complained for a LONG time every time I went out and collected eggs! I agree about getting more than 1 hen. I have ducks and chickens too and I only have one turkey hen right now. She is very, very lonely and I'm looking for a 'friend' for her as soon as it gets a little warmer here.

Back
Top Bottom