Getting along

blb10060

Hatching
Feb 20, 2020
Is t possible that ducks can gang up on others. We have 2 ducks that were introduced to the other 4 and we had to keep them separated due to the 4 larger ones pecking them and chasing them. Once the 2 got bigger we keep them all in barn at night together kept safe from predators. Thru the day they usually stay around each other but lately the 2 are being excluded and always look roughed up. This evening when I went to lock them in, I found the 2 around the side of the barn instead of inside with the others......unusual. And one of them has eggs inside..... could the others possibly keep them from getting in? Makes me sad for the 2

My pekin flocks, have pecked with each other/the chicks and chickens all in one run.

With size difference they run and attack. Eventually the ducks get together and chicken get together and achieve harmony. I would monitor and wouldn't worry quite so much.

So I just witnessed one drake biting, chasing, keeping the injured drake from eating etc. he’s also doing the same. with a small female. They’ve all been together for yr or so but just now noticing the “dominance “. It this possible

Or if your not into eating, try and rehome. 1 drake to 4 females or more is best.
For now I would keep them separated to keep the 2 from being injured any worse. Keep them where they can see each other so if you do rehome the one drake you can introduce the other female back with the other 2. :welcome

Is t possible that ducks can gang up on others. We have 2 ducks that were introduced to the other 4 and we had to keep them separated due to the 4 larger ones pecking them and chasing them. Once the 2 got bigger we keep them all in barn at night together kept safe from predators. Thru the day they usually stay around each other but lately the 2 are being excluded and always look roughed up. This evening when I went to lock them in, I found the 2 around the side of the barn instead of inside with the others......unusual. And one of them has eggs inside..... could the others possibly keep them from getting in? Makes me sad for the 2
but before the other Drake died, it was 3 drakes, 3 females and there wasn't any problems. Well, I definitely will not eat one

Back
Top Bottom