Getting an existing flock questions

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So we are being gifted 7/8 chickens and a rooster from a family member. He let them free range, which we plan to do, but we have a coop and run that is predator proof as well. The questions I have are:
  1. How do we transport them to our house?
  2. Do we keep them in the coop and run for a while or let them free range (within our fenced in 1/2 acre) right away?
  3. How can we gain their trust and have them come to us when called?
Any other suggestions would be helpful 🙂

I am no expert but I would recommend keeping them in the coop and run for a little while in order to get them used to the new area before allowing them to free range. As far as getting them to come to you when you call them, I would recommend giving them treats. When you have treats for them you can call them as you wish and they will eventually learn to recognize you and come when they see you. It does take time. How nice of you to take this flock. I am not sure how you should transport them..maybe a box or two. Best of luck!

Transport of adult birds is often best managed using wire dog crates if available, if not then you will need several large cardboard boxes with air holes. Keep them in the temperature-controlled vehicle if at all possible - I know lots of people transport chickens in the back of a pickup, and they survive, but sun can make them very hot quickly even if it isn't that hot out yet, so if that's your only option you will want to have a tarp for shade and to block as much wind as possible. You will have best luck if you keep them confined to the coop and run for at least a few days until they know where they live, and until they are reliably going into the coop at sundown; then the first time you let them out make it about 30 minutes before dusk so they won't go very far because they will know it's almost time for bed. Gradually let them out a bit earlier until you know they will return. While they are in the run, go visit them with something they think is fabulous - most will come running for meal worms - daily or twice a day. We have birds that are let out in shifts, and they know they are getting a snack every afternoon around 2 or 3, so the morning rangers come running into their run at snack time, and once snacks have been consumed the next group is let out - this group consists of only a couple of the old ladies, and once they've dust bathed in favored spots and checked for bugs and other goodies in a few locations around the property, they head back to their area and I put up an ex-pen to confine them to a smaller area and let out the third group for the last 3-ish hours of the day. All this is to say, they will learn routines, you just have to decide what the schedule is, then try to stay with it as much as possible.

I am no expert but I would recommend keeping them in the coop and run for a little while in order to get them used to the new area before allowing them to free range. As far as getting them to come to you when you call them, I would recommend giving them treats. When you have treats for them you can call them as you wish and they will eventually learn to recognize you and come when they see you. It does take time. How nice of you to take this flock. I am not sure how you should transport them..maybe a box or two. Best of luck!
Thanks for the suggestions about getting them to come when called. We are thinking we’ll keep them in a week, unless we feel that’s unnecessary but if someone has experience that’d be nice. We’re excited to get them, but anxious a little because we didn’t raise them from chicks and think they may dislike we are taking them from their home lol

If they are arriving from within your state all is well. If from anywhere else, there are likely health certificates and maybe testing that needs to be done first.
Traveling in dog crates works very well, and having them confined in their new coop and run for at least a week, maybe longer, before letting them out. Call them when you bring treats, they will figure it out!
Check them for mites and lice, at least, so you can treat if necessary immediately.
Mary

Transport of adult birds is often best managed using wire dog crates if available, if not then you will need several large cardboard boxes with air holes. Keep them in the temperature-controlled vehicle if at all possible - I know lots of people transport chickens in the back of a pickup, and they survive, but sun can make them very hot quickly even if it isn't that hot out yet, so if that's your only option you will want to have a tarp for shade and to block as much wind as possible. You will have best luck if you keep them confined to the coop and run for at least a few days until they know where they live, and until they are reliably going into the coop at sundown; then the first time you let them out make it about 30 minutes before dusk so they won't go very far because they will know it's almost time for bed. Gradually let them out a bit earlier until you know they will return. While they are in the run, go visit them with something they think is fabulous - most will come running for meal worms - daily or twice a day. We have birds that are let out in shifts, and they know they are getting a snack every afternoon around 2 or 3, so the morning rangers come running into their run at snack time, and once snacks have been consumed the next group is let out - this group consists of only a couple of the old ladies, and once they've dust bathed in favored spots and checked for bugs and other goodies in a few locations around the property, they head back to their area and I put up an ex-pen to confine them to a smaller area and let out the third group for the last 3-ish hours of the day. All this is to say, they will learn routines, you just have to decide what the schedule is, then try to stay with it as much as possible.
Wow, thank you so much for these suggestions, super helpful. It’s funny because we were going to use dog crates so that works! The help with letting them out makes a lot of sense too. I do wonder though about routines. Where we live we have eagles and hawks that fly overhead somewhat often (we live close to the Conowingo dam in MD - eagle heaven) and I read to change up the schedule so it’s not as predictable to predators. Any thoughts on that?

If they are arriving from within your state all is well. If from anywhere else, there are likely health certificates and maybe testing that needs to be done first.
Traveling in dog crates works very well, and having them confined in their new coop and run for at least a week, maybe longer, before letting them out. Call them when you bring treats, they will figure it out!
Check them for mites and lice, at least, so you can treat if necessary immediately.
Mary
Yeah they are coming from about 30 minutes away all in PA. I will definitely do the dog crates to transport, thanks 🙂 I didn’t think about checking for mites and lice, I read about leg mites and saw pictures, but what should I look for with lice?

Wow, thank you so much for these suggestions, super helpful. It’s funny because we were going to use dog crates so that works! The help with letting them out makes a lot of sense too. I do wonder though about routines. Where we live we have eagles and hawks that fly overhead somewhat often (we live close to the Conowingo dam in MD - eagle heaven) and I read to change up the schedule so it’s not as predictable to predators. Any thoughts on that?
We have birds of prey here, though not in the numbers you probably do. Our runs are covered with chain link for that exact reason. So far the only predator that has taken a bird here is a neighborhood dog, possibly because cottontails are plentiful, and someone is always home when birds are free ranging. We wait until 9 am to open runs and let any birds out from under cover, and keep an eye out for things like suddenly no rabbits or small birds in sight, no normal wildlife noises, etc. There are places they can hide as well, under porches, inside low growth on trees and shrubs, etc. The known risk of free ranging is potentially losing birds to predators and if you want to eliminate the risk you might need to rethink the plan to free range.

Back
Top Bottom