Getting baby ducks khaki cambells help

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
Ok so after my ducks were killed last year I have been wanting to get more and finally it's that time of the year that ducklings are being hatched and sold!! It's been a long wait. So my local tractor supply always sells some ducklings different breeds every year. We asked the lady and she said they should be here anytime this week!!!!! She said they are selling Pekins which I've had before and khaki cambells. I have never had the cambells before, anyone that has had them can you tell me how you liked them. I want to get two of each or more depending on how many they have in the bin at the time, I think I'm going to have to be dragged out.

Khaki Campbells are considered one of the best of layers of the duck world, they're basically the leghorn of the duck world. The pekin is the duck you see on aflac commercials and is all white, those are like the common broiler chicken and gain market weight at 8 weeks. If you can handle the mess and smell ducks can create than you're set. Pekins are known to be docile, I'm not so sure on the Campbell but with docile birds comes patience and the willing to work with them as they are young.

I just got 2 hens and a drake Khaki Campbells as young adults. I have gathered 2 eggs a day since the 3rd day. They are afraid of people and I fear it will take a long time to get them to accept me. They are beautiful birds. The drake is much like a brown headed Roen or Mallard and the hens are similar to both types but a little browner. I have 23 babies that I picked up at Metzer Farms in Gonzales CA. Them and some various runners and Golden 300's. I have started getting to be their friend. and they are coming along. Two weeks old today and with our 80o weather, I let them out of the brooder and into the pen. I need to get some Banties to put in with them to keep the mulch scratched around. I will get some pictures and on site soon. I think I have had 95% of all the chicken breeds but this is my first duck venture. I plan on selling eggs to the many Filipinos who live here in Santa Barbara, CA I have a 7 pen layout and it has a wire lid and a 6' chain link all around the perimeter. That didn't stop the bears and I have lost chickens on 4 different occasions. There are now 4 less bears in my neighborhood and I feel better about my Great Grand daughters going out after dark to give the table scraps to the chickens..

Last edited:
So I went and picked up 6 duckling at tractor supply sadly one died when I got it home but they said I can come back and they will replace it. Well I'm playing the guessing games with the breeds now cuz I picked different ones and some I think i know the breed others I'm not sure

So I went and picked up 6 duckling at tractor supply sadly one died when I got it home but they said I can come back and they will replace it. Well I'm playing the guessing games with the breeds now cuz I picked different ones and some I think i know the breed others I'm not sure

Post pics, generally people are pretty good at identifying the littles. Congrats on your new fuzzbutts!

Back
Top Bottom