Getting Chickens back in the pen.

Waldorbigbill

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
We let our 13 chicks few times a week free range in the yard and by night time they will go back in the coop no problem. The problem is sometimes if we know we won't be home until real late and they got let out we can't seem to get them to go back in to the pen area with out turning it in to a project. Any tips for us rookies.

Last edited:
I only have five and sometimes have a hard time. I'd be interested to learn some inside tricks too!
big_smile.png

Is there somewhere to put a low watt light, like a night light? They should always go towards the light as it gets dark.

Are you leaving the coop open so they can go in on their own? Mine have always just gone back in on their own. If someone is late coming in our roo will herd them in. If I am going to be late coming in I just go check on them when I get home, make sure everyone is in and lock up for the night. Of course you have to take in to account the danger from preadators if you do this. It may just be better to not let them out that day. They are not much of an issue with us because of our dog.

I've only had my chickens for a year but have never had a problem with that.

When we first put our chickens out in the coop we kept them locked up in the coop for two weeks, that way they knew that it was "home". Then when we let them out to free-range during the day they just naturally went in about dusk, on their own. We didn't have a light or anything. So I'm not sure what to tell you.

Recently we added four young RIR's to the flock and did the same thing. Left them locked up in the coop for a couple weeks, then gave them freedom to go in and out as they please. Still haven't had any problems with them being in at night either.

Soon I'll be adding eight more young chickens to the flock and we'll do the same with them.

Maybe this will give you some insight, and then.....maybe not.
smile.png
Hope you can find what works.

I just call them and throw a scoop of scratch or some treats in and they all come running. After a few times most will just go in there when they here you calling. Chickens aren't real smart, but they can learn.

Quote:
THAT is a great question!!!! I may need to know the answer myself at some point, but for now they make the rules around here, I am to be home by dark
he.gif

I had that problem when I was giving them range time outside of their brooder. They did not want to go back in that brooder! But now, I can get them back into their run pretty easily. I call them while I walk to the run, I sprinkle a half cup of rolled oats around calling "chick chick treat", and they come running stampede-style for the treats. Once everyone is inside, I close the door to the run and they can play until it's time to go to roost. I've had some success with using the same tactic in the coop but since there is less visibility into that space, it's more difficult to get them excited to go in. I have to prop a big board at the door, sprinkle the oats around the coop and a few on the board, and hope they're all paying attention when some figure it out and go in or those few will eat it all and come back out while I'm still trying to round the rest up.

Each morning I bring out a handful of BOSS in a quart yogurt container and rattle the seeds in the container. Then toss them into the run.
They know that treats come in that container.

So now, when I want to get the girls to come back to their run, I bring some out with me and call "Girls, time to come in." and rattle the seeds in the plastic tub and they come running. Works every time without fail.

I will try the rattle thing with the treats in the pen. To clarify I don't have a problem getting them in at night they go in the pen them self. The problem is if we want to go out and they are free ranging and I want to get them back in the runner before we leave. Once in the runner they are safe if we get home late to shut the door. If I leave and and the runner not shut anything is free to run inside the coop once they are inside at night.

Back
Top Bottom