Getting Chickens Soon

Hello!! Welcome to BYC happy to have you here, I would recommend a Barred Rock Plymouth Chicken too! I have a Barred rock rooster whos very nice and friendly, He attacks strangers though but he is nice to me and my family. (Except for my uncle, he seems to dislike him greatly) Easter Eggers, Black Australorps and White leghorns are very good breeds! You should go for a silkie if you like the cute ones.
I definitely get sucked in. Unfortunately, I can't justify spending the money to feed it if it's not going to efficiently feed my family :D

Sounds like a great plan.
Chicks will be available soon, unless you want to start off with a couple of adult birds so you don't have to wait 4 months for eggs.
Leave yourself some room in the coop to add more chickens next year so you don't have a whole flock of the same age.
My adult son strongly disliked my Rhode Island Red hen. Called her names, but she does have an attitude. 😆
I was originally going to wait to get chicks later in the summer and have a Fall flock but this baby surprised us so...not sure that's the best timing. Now I just have to figure out when because we're not ready quite yet.

Welcome to BYC!!!! :welcome Yes, I heard that Easter eggers can be good with kids as well but mine named Flo is very skittish!View attachment 3769281
Barred rocks are a very good choice as well!
If you are looking for other breed suggestions maybe consider some of these;
1. white Plymouth rock (so friendly, they love waddling up to me and begging for food)
2. Sapphire gem (I love this breed. So friendly, lays huge eggs. I think they are dual purpose, too)
3. Brahmas (I have one light brahma named Dottie. So sweet!)
Thanks for the ideas! I'll keep those in mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom