getting chicks on Monday . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fargosmom, Jan 14, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    from a somewhat-local feed store. They'll be about a week old when I get them . . . will I be missing anything? If I want to wait for younger ones I have to wait at least a couple of weeks if not longer, and waiting is not something I'm good at. This is my first time with chickens and I'm so excited I don't want to put it off if I don't have to. They'll still be cute, and bond-able, right? I'll be getting two barred rocks, and two EE's.
    can't wait can't wait can't wait . . . [​IMG]

2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    That will seem like a long wait.... [​IMG] You'll do fine with them. Keep us posted & post some pics when you get them. Are you all set up & ready for them? Congrats! [​IMG]

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    By getting week old chicks instead of day old chicks you'll most likely have fewer problems related to casualties, as the loss rate goes down dramatically [ basically zero ] after 1 week provided they are disease free.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    When I decided to get chickens again, my first five girls were 6 weeks old. They tamed down with plenty of attention and treats, and most of them walk up to me and let me pick them up. Your girls will be perfectly friendly with lots of love and attention from you.

5. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Well, Chickadilly, it's like any new arrival. We're not prepared but that's not going to stop us. I'm following lots of the tips I've gleaned here on the forum, sticking to the basics and from there I'm going to wing it. Brooder will be a cardboard box; picking up a ceramic heat lamp on Saturday; already have a digital thermometer; I'll get the feeders, feed and what-nots when I pick up the chicks . . . anything else I need to think of? I figure I've got till Monday to get all the loose ends wrapped up.

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

It sounds like you have the basics under control!!! [​IMG]

Have fun!!!

Again, welcome!! [​IMG]

Cindy

7. GrannyPat

GrannyPat Out Of The Brooder

Hi, fargosmom, gosh, you sound just like me. I just decided to get some chickens recently too. Haven't ordered any yet but hope to soon. Just like you I'm really excited to get started. I just joined here not long ago and everyone has been so nice and helpful.

I wanted to get my little granddaughter an incubator for her birthday but hatching eggs were sort of expensive and I didn't need as many as most places minimum was anyway. So, I came here and low and behold I had people all over the place offering to sell and send me cheaper eggs and some even for free. I finally connected with a very nice lady who lives in my same county and we have made arrangements to meet the morning of my granddaughter's birthday and she is going to give me some of her eggs for FREE. I plan to return the favor (eggs or chicks) when I get all my chickens and get set up. We've been talking back and forth ever since and as she puts it have become "chicken friends". :)

Anyway, I will be ordering my chicks soon and I'm getting excited like you. I hope to end up with around 25 when I'm done. How many are you getting? I have been looking in catalogs and online and I have seen so many pretty ones it will be hard to narrow it down to just 25. :) I grew up around chickens and with my granddaughter's interest in hatching eggs and asking me for an incubator for her birthday I realized I missed being around them. And, all the free eggs won't hurt anything either. :) I will definitely look forward to hearing how you are doing with your new little feather babies when they arrive:p.

GrannyPat

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you will (make that must buy more) lol welcome to the addicts home for chicken lovers

9. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Don't forget to put something on the bottom of the brooder, I used straw, but other people may use something else. On my brooder I used a 100 gallon horse tank & covered about 3/4 of it with a piece of wood to keep the heat in. It really did keep the heat in there too. Just a suggestion....I am sure you will do just fine.

And I forgot to say [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Get some of both ....nothing like a new chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by