Getting Commercial Layers to roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarefootMom, Feb 23, 2016.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Today we bought 100 12-14 month old Bovan Brown layers. All of their lives they have lived in a commercial chicken barn...so never allowed to roost. Does anyone have any experiences for me? They are all molting right now and look awful- plus the lady we bought them from had only been feeding cracked corn-- nothing else. So they need nutrients. I went and checked on them just a few min ago and they are all huddled by the door on the floor. I know they can fly- I have seen them do it-- I just don't think they know what to do. Also nest boxes--- should they be on the floor ya think?

2. Macis Papa

Macis Papa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2015
    Central Iowa
    I bought 20 1 year old comercial layers a few years ago. I put an extra rooster I had in with them to help calm them down. After a few days some of them started to roost with him (4 or 5 never did). Most of them figured out the nesting boxes (mine are on the floor) but I had some that would lay all over the place. Great layers though.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by