getting day old chicks, just looking for info

chickabees

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I am getting my first chicks this summer
smile.png

Am trying to get as prepared as possible before they get here, so I may ask stupid questions...
I have read WAY too much and am getting conflicting info

When the chicks arrive, is it best to put sugar in the water? what type of food is best? how long do they get chick feed before switching to a laying mash? What about the dewormer food? what are good people foods? and how old do they have to be before they can have them?

Thanks!!

Also, I'm planning on keeping them in those plastic storage bins (sans top and with bedding) for brooders... I've seen other people have done this, is it a bad idea? How much space do babies need?? Thanks!!!!!!!

You're getting conflicting ideas because there are varying opinions on these things. Gazillions of chicks have survived without sugar in the water, but some will tell you they do better with it. Never tried it myself. If you do, it should only be done for a day or two. If you work within a basic plan of starter for a few weeks, grower til they start laying, then layer, they should do fine. Never heard of dewormer food. I imagine you're thinking of medicated chick starter. If medicated with amprolium, it helps them develop immunity to the cocci in the soil, which are not a worm, they are a protozoa. Cocci are much more prevalent in some areas than others. I use it and have never read a reason not to that I thought made sense. Same story with people foods, some give a little from an early age and some have decided 2 or 4 or 8 weeks are better. I have given scrambled egg at 3 or 4 days. Just keep the amounts really small so they get the nourishment they need from the feed.

If the brooder has no top they will start flying out of it around 2 weeks, or even sooner. An old window screen or some inexpensive bird netting from the garden dept. solves this. I once found on here a guideline for the space they need: .5 sq ft per chick for 2 weeks, 1 sq ft for the next 2 weeks, 2.5 sq ft til they are 8 weeks, at which point they should be ready (if not past ready) to go out to the coop.

Good luck!

Im by no means a profesional, my first time as well. but my chics are only 4-5 days old and there already trying to "fly" Im thinking the screen will be needed far before 2 weeks. Unless mine are older then day olds when I got them. They are also starting to get tail feathers... (some of them atleast)

Yeah, I got my chicks a few days old, started them off on regular tap water and chick feed, I converted and old rabbit hutch for my birds because at a week old they were jumping on the watter bottles I had for them and trying to jump out of the topless cage I had them in. They're a little over 2 weeks old now, JUST threw in some lay mash to see how'd they take it and they're just gobbling it up.

Quote:
I hope you don't plan on continuing to feed your chicks "lay mash" for more than just a one time treat test! The calcium in layer feed is NOT good for chicks. Chickens shouldn't have the extra calcium until they actually lay eggs.

Now That I'm actually getting close to the chicks arriving, where do you guys get your food? Im looking online, but... I need the chick starter (which I give them until they lay, right??)

For the brooders, I do have screening for the tops, I am also considering doing a puppy play yard, since keeping them warm wont be an issue here!

I'm getting pretty excite
smile.png

Also, nesting boxes, I've read that you only need a few for a flock? how many? I was thinking of one per a hen, but is that overkill? (I'm used to breeding parrots who like a selection and don't share)

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Besides this site, the book "Chick Days" had been the best reading for the money. No joke on the covers on your brooder, wow them little gals are "flighty". TSC or your local Co-op for feed and supplies.

Good luck - enjoy your babies.

Back
Top Bottom