Getting Ducks inside there Coop

6ChicksandaDog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Waterbury
Yet another ducky question. I have 2 male Pekins that are roughly 5 months old. We finally finished there Coop to the point of them being able to go inside. But they seem scared of the coop and won't go inside, and don't like getting near it. Also as a side note my ducks are very strange and they don't seem to like peas or treats that I don't put in the water.
For our chickens they just went right inside there coop with no problems, I was thinking of just putting them inside and closing them in for the night, but I feel it would stress them out more. They like hanging out in there pool at night.
Thank you again for any thoughts or suggestions
Amy

Yet another ducky question. I have 2 male Pekins that are roughly 5 months old. We finally finished there Coop to the point of them being able to go inside. But they seem scared of the coop and won't go inside, and don't like getting near it. Also as a side note my ducks are very strange and they don't seem to like peas or treats that I don't put in the water.
For our chickens they just went right inside there coop with no problems, I was thinking of just putting them inside and closing them in for the night, but I feel it would stress them out more. They like hanging out in there pool at night.
Thank you again for any thoughts or suggestions
Amy
They may like hanging in their pool at night but they are sitting ducks for predators, I'd pick them up and close them in their new coop, have plenty of nice fluffy bedding for them to cuddle into and in the morning open up the door and let them out,. It will take a bit of work but once they see this is the routine and feel secure it will go better. You don't have to put food and water inside either to keep the mess down. They don't realize the dangers that lurk in the night, but we as their owners do and have the responsibility of protecting them. I love your avatar so cute.

They may like hanging in their pool at night but they are sitting ducks for predators, I'd pick them up and close them in their new coop, have plenty of nice fluffy bedding for them to cuddle into and in the morning open up the door and let them out,. It will take a bit of work but once they see this is the routine and feel secure it will go better. You don't have to put food and water inside either to keep the mess down. They don't realize the dangers that lurk in the night, but we as their owners do and have the responsibility of protecting them. I love your avatar so cute.
Fully agree! ducks don't always realize the dangers, i herd mine in every night, i have some now and then who are pesty and kick up a fuss but no way will i leave them out overnight!

Thank you for the replies. They are currently in our fenced in yard and have there own fenced in area with wire fencing dug about 2-4 inches in the ground all around both fences. So they are somewhat protected I know 2 fences doesn't always protect them, thats for sure. And that is why I was wondering what others did to get them inside the coops. Looks like I'll have to round them up each night until they get the picture.
wink.png

Thank you for the replies. They are currently in our fenced in yard and have there own fenced in area with wire fencing dug about 2-4 inches in the ground all around both fences. So they are somewhat protected I know 2 fences doesn't always protect them, thats for sure. And that is why I was wondering what others did to get them inside the coops. Looks like I'll have to round them up each night until they get the picture.
wink.png

Mine have been trained to go in each evening and the ones that come after them are trained by the first ones, so now I have ducks lined up ready to go in of an evening, it takes a bit of work but so worth it knowing they are all safe. Raccoons, skunks foxes, weasels minks just to name a few can all climb. Ducks herd really well once they understand what you want.
smile.png

wink.png

Our ducks are sometime difficult too (specially when we changed the hay we're using
roll.png
, we don't really get to pick what kind of hay we can find lol)

We herd them slowly, arm extended. When I'm alone, I find that holding a shovel or a stick at the end of an arm helps (I guess it makes you look wider).

I'm sure after a few night they'll get used to it and cooperate fully

Our ducks are sometime difficult too (specially when we changed the hay we're using
roll.png
, we don't really get to pick what kind of hay we can find lol)

We herd them slowly, arm extended. When I'm alone, I find that holding a shovel or a stick at the end of an arm helps (I guess it makes you look wider).

I'm sure after a few night they'll get used to it and cooperate fully

Yep, this is how I do it. Works every time.

Mine will go in at night on their own. But not until it's fully dark which is too late to be safe here.

Back
Top Bottom