Getting ducks to go in coop at night ?

kyron4

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
We have 2 Ruein ducks along with our 9 chickens. The ducks have their own coop separate from the chickens . The chickens all go in the coop on their own right before dusk. The ducks have to be chased and caught and put in their coop. They seem content still swimming, quacking and grazing even after dark. Is there any tricks or tips to "train" them to go into their coop at dark ? We have raised them from chicks and they are about 10-12 weeks old, but still act afraid of us. -Thanks

Last edited:
I just used some food to train my ducks to go in and out. It didn't take very long either, maybe a week. Im now working on verbal commands as I would like to get them to the point that @Texag87 87 has his. (using food is much easier)

@Texag87 besides just being persistent with verbal commands, do you have any advice on how to get them to listen/ acknowledge me w/o food?

Last edited:
Herding is a great way to get them where you want them. Walk slowly behind them using you arms as a guide or long poles usually after a week or so they know exactly what you want. A reward before they go in or after if you don’t want water inside their house. They are creatures of habit very similar to us actually.

Herding is a great way to get them where you want them. Walk slowly behind them using you arms as a guide or long poles usually after a week or so they know exactly what you want. A reward before they go in or after if you don’t want water inside their house. They are creatures of habit very similar to us actually.

This is what I do.
When my ducks arrived, from same breeder but two different times, they were not human handled. They did go into a mixed bird species coop with others at lock up time, but here not so much.
They are getting more used to us (as in, let me get much closer before they panic) and mostly they free range unsupervised. Herding works wonders. They are easier every few days herding back to the run at lock up. They seem to be against using their house in the run, but keep in mind that ducks are at least part nocturnal. Locking them up in a small box might be mean, in my opinion, and so I haven't added a side door to their house.

I simply don't give them their evening meal until it's time to go in the pen. That way they're hungry enough to go where the food is. When I put the food and fresh water in the pen, I back away so they can go into the pen comfortably. After they're in the pen, I go back and close the gate. I find feeding and fresh water much easier than herding.

I just used some food to train my ducks to go in and out. It didn't take very long either, maybe a week. Im now working on verbal commands as I would like to get them to the point that @Texag87 87 has his. (using food is much easier)

@Texag87 besides just being persistent with verbal commands, do you have any advice on how to get them to listen/ acknowledge me w/o food?
I think the reason we have it so easy is because of our drake . They just follow his lead. When we let them outside the temp fence to totally free range, its not that they don't want to go back in the fenced area, they just forget where the entrance is. we GENTLY herd them back in. No fast movement just kinda push them in the direction they need to go. We have not had to bribe or force them into the coop in months.

I think the reason we have it so easy is because of our drake . They just follow his lead. When we let them outside the temp fence to totally free range, its not that they don't want to go back in the fenced area, they just forget where the entrance is. we GENTLY herd them back in. No fast movement just kinda push them in the direction they need to go. We have not had to bribe or force them into the coop in months.

My drakes have always been lowest on the totem pole. The females ALWAYS lead lol.

Back
Top Bottom