Getting Ducks to go to their coop at night?

We tie ours closed, its our method so far but I'm open to other suggestions!

My 3 ducklings don't care for anything that I have offered as treats, except for tomatoes. Chopped tomatoes are duck crack (for mine anyways) and they will run YOU down to get it, then it's like a shark feeding frenzy. Maybe if you put a treat they like in their food a few times, then offer it by hand they'll warm up to you more.

I have been trying that with peas, now its a waiting game but I do know they ate all the peas offered in their food last night!

Excellent post ML. I actually kept cutting out squares in my coop and covering them securely with hardware cloth until I had adequate ventilation. I also have flaps over my windows as shown in the photo to keep the weather from blowing in.
I like your coop Carcajou, a couple years ago we put more windows in our coops and houses my dh thought I was nuts wanting more but it's very well ventilated and in the worst of this winter the tops of the windows facing south stayed open. Fresh air always circulating inside but like you say not blowing over them. If anyone wants to add window go to someplace like habitat resale store we got windows for 1.50 each up to 3.00 then put hardware cloth over the outside instead of the window screens. Or cut your own like Carcajou did. so much healthier for the flock to have that fresh air.

I like your coop Carcajou, a couple years ago we put more windows in our coops and houses my dh thought I was nuts wanting more but it's very well ventilated and in the worst of this winter the tops of the windows facing south stayed open. Fresh air always circulating inside but like you say not blowing over them. If anyone wants to add window go to someplace like habitat resale store we got windows for 1.50 each up to 3.00 then put hardware cloth over the outside instead of the window screens. Or cut your own like Carcajou did. so much healthier for the flock to have that fresh air.

Thank you, ML. It was trial and error but my ducks told me when they had enough summer ventilation. One can always cover up openings in the winter if needed.

Last edited:
I'm planning on putting a window in my coop eventually (although eventually I'm also going to rebuild it) =)

Back
Top Bottom