Getting ducks to lay in coop? any tips?

Our days are getting shorter here in Ohio but two of my ducks are still laying. They have a large area that they live in and one of them will lay an egg just about anywhere. I wanted to get a trail cam to see which duck was doing it so that I could possibly confine her. I don't have an SD reader on any of my equipment and I am not sure if it is worth the cost to find out. My Mallard for sure lays inside one of the houses that I have for them. The other duck which is either a Khaki Campbell or a Muscovy just plops it down anywhere and will bury it in the mud if she can find some. The ground has been frozen so she hasn't been able to for the past few days. Mine don't lay until between 9-10 am.
I just found a orange egg that was fake and weighted the same as the duck eggs. I put in where my Mallard has been laying and so far my other hen is laying in the same place. I take their eggs daily as I eat them but leave the fake one and so far it is helping and she is no longer laying them in the mud or elsewhere. You might try that.

Back
Top Bottom