getting ducks use to me

I can say I raised some call ducks from when they were young ones in the eggs and once they grew up and went outside, WHOLE new life for them, they are so depend now that they will not come close to me. Not sure if all ducks are like this but I have never been able to get close to them now that they have experienced "the wild Life". I tried treats and what not but they dont care to be close. If you come up with a solution keep me informed, i will try it but so far nothing has worked for me..

Can somebody give me advice to get the ducks use to me? I want to be able to go in there without them running away from me. I have pekins, their 2 months old. Thanks

Have you tried looking smaller, by crouching or sitting on a milk crate or something, when you give them treats?

Holderread's guide to raising ducks has some helpful advice on socializing ducks in the second chapter.

Last edited:
My ducks are friendly, but because i've had to medicate on occasion, if i go towards them they will walk away. They do come right up if i have food. They love lettuce, peas, worms (freeze dried or live). If i hold the lettuce out in my hand, they will come up and take some.

It might help if you put a chair in with them so you can sit there and give them time to get used to you. Take some lettuce and try handing it to them. They may never climb up on your lap, but by spending time in their presence and giving them food and treats, they should become comfortable with your presence.

Back
Top Bottom