Pics

chickens really

I am a legend
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Sep 8, 2015
The Funny Farm....Alberta, Canada
A8C39E7F-48A1-46D9-B7E5-8C2D2C2A9A6D.jpeg
Hello. I have a million questions about goats.
I'm getting two kids today and I'm postitve I need more help.
I'm getting a castrated male and a Doe. They are still babies but weaned or so I think?
Nigerian Dwarf/Fainting goat crosses.
Will they still faint if crosses? :idunno
Getting wormer today before they come home. Do they need more in 10 days?
How much water do they drink daily?
What about supplements?
Please help me if you can...:frow

Last edited:
I've had goats for over 10 years. Welcome to insanity! :lol: I have myotonics, boers, and crosses. From my experience, they faint at 66% myotonic or higher.

Definitely find out if the kids are weaned. If they are dam raised, wait until they are 8 weeks. If they are bottle raised and under 8 weeks, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you take them.

For the dewormer, you need to find out which worms you're dealing with before you deworm. Here in the states there is a lab you can mail fecal samples to, but I'm not sure about Canada. If you are very, very lucky, there will be a vet in your area experienced with goats. Even if they are not experienced with goats, they will still be able to run a fecal for you.

Goats for the most part don't need a lot of medical care, but you do need to be prepared. Like most animals, they pick the middle of the night, a rainstorm, or a blizzard to need help, just to keep us on our toes and make us crazy :barnie

There are lots of online resources, the very best I have found is https://tennesseemeatgoats.com/. There is a wealth of information on there, my go to whenever I have a problem. I am lucky enough to have an experienced vet about an hour away, but when a goat gets sick, it needs immediate attention, and you're mostly handling things by yourself. Also, ask around your area to see if there is anyone with goats near you that can show you the ropes. Giving vaccinations and figuring out dosages for dewormers and meds can seem intimidating, but it's not that hard. You'll be giving shots like a pro in no time! Also, get together a med kit with the things you'll need in the middle of the night when the stores are closed.

I've had goats for over 10 years. Welcome to insanity! :lol: I have myotonics, boers, and crosses. From my experience, they faint at 66% myotonic or higher.

Definitely find out if the kids are weaned. If they are dam raised, wait until they are 8 weeks. If they are bottle raised and under 8 weeks, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you take them.

For the dewormer, you need to find out which worms you're dealing with before you deworm. Here in the states there is a lab you can mail fecal samples to, but I'm not sure about Canada. If you are very, very lucky, there will be a vet in your area experienced with goats. Even if they are not experienced with goats, they will still be able to run a fecal for you.

Goats for the most part don't need a lot of medical care, but you do need to be prepared. Like most animals, they pick the middle of the night, a rainstorm, or a blizzard to need help, just to keep us on our toes and make us crazy :barnie

There are lots of online resources, the very best I have found is https://tennesseemeatgoats.com/. There is a wealth of information on there, my go to whenever I have a problem. I am lucky enough to have an experienced vet about an hour away, but when a goat gets sick, it needs immediate attention, and you're mostly handling things by yourself. Also, ask around your area to see if there is anyone with goats near you that can show you the ropes. Giving vaccinations and figuring out dosages for dewormers and meds can seem intimidating, but it's not that hard. You'll be giving shots like a pro in no time! Also, get together a med kit with the things you'll need in the middle of the night when the stores are closed.
Well thanks. These are Momma raised and over 8 weeks old. I'm not even sure what age they are:idunno
They will be wormed today before they are delivered here. Coming from my Pals place but his girlfriends goats. He knows less about goats than I do..:gig

my fainting/Nigerian wether has yet to faint. But i can't confidently say that yours wont either..
What kind of wormer are you using?
Goats can drink up to a gallon of water a day. So i always make sure they have water 24/7. Just make its up high enough so they can't poop in it :sick
As for supplements I give mine meat maker goat minerals. And I have it out for them 24/7 as well, They wont eat it up right away like grain so you don't have to worry about buying them minerals every week.
and if they're looking bloated i'll leave out some baking soda as well for them.
And try and avoid mineral blocks. They can damage their teeth while trying to chew on them..

my fainting/Nigerian wether has yet to faint. But i can't confidently say that yours wont either..
What kind of wormer are you using?
Goats can drink up to a gallon of water a day. So i always make sure they have water 24/7. Just make its up high enough so they can't poop in it :sick
As for supplements I give mine meat maker goat minerals. And I have it out for them 24/7 as well, They wont eat it up right away like grain so you don't have to worry about buying them minerals every week.
and if they're looking bloated i'll leave out some baking soda as well for them.
And try and avoid mineral blocks. They can damage their teeth while trying to chew on them..
Don't their teeth constantly grow like horses teeth?
Baking soda how often? Only if bloated looking?
Powder minerals right?

Don't their teeth constantly grow like horses teeth?
Baking soda how often? Only if bloated looking?
Powder minerals right?
You can have baking soda out for them as long as you'd like, just like the minerals. but I only provide it if one of my goats are looking bloated. It's up to you how much you want to provide.
I give mine loose minerals, Which looks and feels a lot like sand. Never tried powdered minerals before.
Also any ideas on things to entertain them I need ideas..
Stumps and stuff I know but what else?
here are some good cheap ideas that caught my eye, Also if you ever come across wooden spools snatch them up! Goats love them~
f763ed9e12e773413b6f7b949ecb07f0.jpg 0714bbef2e2545b106311d50874b3833.jpg 317b9cf6fd233c5e09afe836b844e900.jpg

You can have baking soda out for them as long as you'd like, just like the minerals. but I only provide it if one of my goats are looking bloated. It's up to you how much you want to provide.
I give mine loose minerals, Which looks and feels a lot like sand. Never tried powdered minerals before.

here are some good cheap ideas that caught my eye, Also if you ever come across wooden spools snatch them up! Goats love them~
View attachment 1942580 View attachment 1942581 View attachment 1942582
Awesome ideas for playing on..:woot
Okay well I'll definitely be keeping you informed about the mineral and soda intake when needed. How much goat food a day? Hay 24/7 right?

Back
Top Bottom