Getting goslings...scared

epona4

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Central Indiana
I'll be getting 4 goslings at the start of April. These will be my first and I've been doing as much reading as possible.

I know they grow quickly. But how soon will I be able to not worry about hawks carrying them off? I'm just scared to death one of my "babies" will get swooped up into the air. (I also know I need to worry about foxes, coyotes, coons...etc. But I plan on keeping them in at night...at least as long as they let me!)

My husband wants us to let our chickens free range in the back yard, but I'm scared to do that. I have them in a movable run. Maybe I'll consider letting the larger chickens do it (sussex and buckeyes) but not my banties! I've heard too many stories about banties getting snatched up.

ANYWAY...what are your experiences with allowing goslings to walk around outside (with supervision) and when do you feel they are safe from hawks?

Thanks!

Cover the top of their pen please. Last year, We hade a hawk problem with our goslings. I ended up loosing 4 of our 8 geese when they were 4 months old. After than happened I put them in a box at night with wire on top of it. Because geese are so "curious" one of them actually got decapitated by a varmen while in a wire pen with a top on it. So, yes, take extra precautions, especially at night. A chicken type trailer with an enclosed coop on 4 sides would be great.

6 weeks old- under cover in the chicken yard (my chicks were still babies locked in the coop)
IMG_4054.jpg

8weeks old
IMG_4146.jpg

6 months old
IMG_4665.jpg

This is their pen (in its summer location, in winter in the garden to fertilize/eat weeds). They lived here from about 7 weeks on.
IMG_4019.jpg

They were out during the day when I was home to watch them from about 8 weeks old. By 6 months they were about 75-80% of their current weight and were out all days.

Enjoy your goslings!

Thank you for the replies! I'll put something over their run when they are out.

Raindrop, are those Pilgrims? One of the pairs I'll be getting is Pilgrim.
The other pair is American Buff. I chose those because of their personality and standing on the ALBC list.

I like the idea of a summer and winter home.
smile.png

Thanks again!

I'm getting 4 goslings in April too. Ours will be in a covered run all of the time until they are at least six months old--and every single night no matter how big they are. I've lost full grown geese to coyotes--they jumped a six foot fence to get to them. We have hawks, owls & eagles here-not to mention the occasional stray dog--not going to risk losing my babies!

Quote:
That is Premier Poultry netting (there are two types, that is the one that is designed to not be moved as often). There isn't really a gate, you just move a section of the fence.

Here is a side view that shows the "gate."
IMG_4009.jpg

I have a pair of Pilgrims and 4 Dutch Hookbills. They free-range all day and usually sleep in the pen at night. Some nights they are stubborn and sleep out on the pond. They like to sleep on the water when it is below freezing. There is field fencing around the pond, but I know the only thing that it keeps out is the children. So far being able to get out onto the water has been enough and I have been lucky. I just can't swim out to get them when they are being stubborn.

The pictures I have posted were taken the day we set up the pen. It is a 100' long fence. Within a couple weeks all the grass was eaten/pooped on and made muddy. They are hard on the grass, so I am fortunate to be able to move them around.

Last year my goslings brooded in the garage and went out every day with supervision. They would follow behind whoever took them out. If you sat down they would eat grass beside you and sometimes try to crawl on your lap. They acted just like dogs. Once they were feathered, they moved to a stall in the barn. They go out everyday, but still spend their nights locked up in the barn. Here a picture of one trying to get close.

15342_jack.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom