Getting grass to grow in the run....

Grazing frames:
http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

1/2" 19ga hardware cloth for grass like leaved plants(grasses and grains)....1x2" 14 ga mesh for larger leaved plants.

Watch the sharp mesh edges, cover if possible, to avoid cut and infected chicken feet.

I like the top frame best and am in the process of converting all my frames to this model.
Rip 1/2" off edge of 2x4 and use it with deck screws to cover mesh edges.

^^^X2

Oh for the bottom I was thinking plywood. I know it wont last over the long haul. I was thinking of the ability to take it out so it can regrow without them making poo on it and killing it off with that.
I just put mine right on the ground, sow some oats or wheat, replant if necessary after a few months.

Sometimes put another frame on the top right after sowing, until the plants get good root growth, or they can pull the whole plant out of the ground thru the mesh.

I put a couple frames down on the 'lawn' when I extended the run, still stuff growing in there after a year.
Once in a while I flip the frame up and let them scratch on it for just maybe an hour,
kind of thatches the area and they get some bugs hiding in there,
then cover it back up with the frame before they do too much damage to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom