Getting grass to grow in the run....

ChickenHawk12

Chirping
May 7, 2015
How does one accomplish this? I saw a BYC FB post the other day and in the comments, several people remarked that they have and keep grass inside their runs.

We can barely grow grass on our lawn (we have very sandy soil and outrageous water rates so we can't water it twice daily), and right now the run is all dirt. Is it even possible to get grass to grow in there once the chickens are already in there?

The only way to keep grass in the run would be to have a really, really big run, have a rotation system with multiple pens, or put them in a moveable tractor for several hours everyday.

You could plant some chicken gardens in there. Make a frame with a 1/4 inch wire mesh and plant some grass under it. The wire mesh will keep the chickens from scratching up the grass and killing the roots. They can eat it, but not all the way to the ground.

You could plant some chicken gardens in there. Make a frame with a 1/4 inch wire mesh and plant some grass under it. The wire mesh will keep the chickens from scratching up the grass and killing the roots. They can eat it, but not all the way to the ground.
Thanks! I might try this in the spring. I had to LOL about paddock rotation, as I live in NJ on a 100X150 lot. I have a decent size run for 5 chickens (8ftX16ft) compared to "recommended" minimum space amounts, but "paddocks" are not quite in the cards for us. They run free in the backyard a few hours a day, but I have to keep that to a minimum in the summer or there is so much poop that my kids can't play in the yard.

I think I will surely try the wire mesh idea. Thanks!

That kinda works. I did that in my run I have 20 birds and as they stand on it eating they also poo a lot and that ended up killing the grass I planted. Also you need to put some heavy wire across the top or the chicken wire will droop down. Thus defeating the purpose

Grazing frames:
http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

1/2" 19ga hardware cloth for grass like leaved plants(grasses and grains)....1x2" 14 ga mesh for larger leaved plants.

Watch the sharp mesh edges, cover if possible, to avoid cut and infected chicken feet.

I like the top frame best and am in the process of converting all my frames to this model.
Rip 1/2" off edge of 2x4 and use it with deck screws to cover mesh edges.

Last edited:
I wonder if the plastic edging for drywall would also work to keep the toes off the sharp parts.
I did it on my brooder to protect my hands since the wire is on the outside of the frame on that.

You can see it on the brooder in this pic.

Personally I am going to be making some that have a bottom to them. I will have to work out how to keep it from being to heavy for me to move in and out of the runs as well as being to heavy to carry. This way I can keep them out of the majority of chicken poo area.

The other option would be to have the garden next to the run and give them the radish tops as well as growing a few things just for them like some cherry tomatoes and some seven top turnip greens. No garden no problem pots work for these smaller veggies too.

Id be afraid that the plastic drywall edging would break down in the sun and splinter/fracture.

Not sure why you's want mesh on the bottom, won't protect the plants as well and you don't want them scratching on the mesh and maybe hurt their feet.

They're not that heavy, my largest is maybe 2x3or4 and it's not that bad to move.
I like them smaller as they are more likely to eat from the sides rather than stand on them, less poo in them that way.

Oh for the bottom I was thinking plywood. I know it wont last over the long haul. I was thinking of the ability to take it out so it can regrow without them making poo on it and killing it off with that.

Back
Top Bottom