New Silkie mom, needing advice on run remodel

jdcase86

Hatching
Jun 28, 2023
Hello everyone! I am a new chicken owner...and I have found that I just love little silkies! Right now I only have one silkie, but i have 6 more incubating right now. I have 6 other easter egger chickens (one rooster) in the same coop/run. So far everyone is happy and getting along good. I am using a coop and run that was already established. It is a 20x18 lot with nesting boxes along the outside under shed cover. They have a roosting shed in the lot.
My question is about remodeling the run. Right now it is just a muddy mess when it rains. My little silkie hen..., her little feet are just so nasty!! I was going to have some clean 3/4 stone delivered to put in the most human trafficked areas... and I was considering sand for the rest of the run. However, after reading many posts on this site....I am not sure! It is just a bare ground floor. It has some loose gravel in spots and some grass/weeds growing..but mostly just bare dirt. Its so gross when it rains! I live in Western North Carolina. We have rain pretty regularly and some snow in the winter. What would yall recommend? I want to keep the mess and smell down, but not cost too much. I am a single mom and on a limited budget. I just want to make the run cleaner and nicer for my girls!

you can try planting grass but u would have to keep them out of the area for some time. u can use sand as well but dirt is good for them

Back
Top Bottom