Placement of Coop + Run in Backyard

dLamSlo8

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2023
Hi all. I'm starting to plan for when my chicks move out into a coop, and just want to make sure I'm making the correct decisions in doing so. Would love some advice here. Here's all the context:

I live in an urban area with a backyard that's half concrete and half grass. There's enough of either ground to place a coop and a small run, but that's about it. The chickens most likely will not be able to free range, and will live within the confines of the coop and run. Not ideal, but I have to work with what I have.

I'm thinking of placing the coop and run on the grassy portion, so the chickens can reap the benefits of scratching through grass and soil. However, an issue I foresee is that, because this grassy area is essentially a garden where my other family members water and sprinklers sometimes go off, I assume that with all this watering, while inhabiting chicken poop, is a recipe for possible diseases (e.g. bumblefoot, coccidiosis, etc.). Plus I assume that the chickens will eat the grass faster than it can grow back, so it would just leave a patch of dirt, and when that's watered + inhabiting poop, I assume things will just be even more dangerous for the chickens.

So knowing this, and definitely correct me if I'm wrong about the above assumptions, would it be better to just have the coop and run placed on concrete? If so, what's example of good beddings for the concrete-grounded run? I plan on using pine shavings as bedding in the coop, so could I just do the same in the run?

Thanks,
Derek

They are definitely going to destroy the grass, so yes it will be a dirt patch. If it is going to be consistently wet I would not put it there. You can put it on the concrete and put bedding over top of the concrete. Or raise everything up off the ground it at all possible.

Any photos of spots you're considering? Chickens really do benefit from having actual soil to dig around in, but not from soil that's being watered with a sprinkler. Yes it increases the chances of coccidiosis, worms, etc., and will also likely start stinking as it breaks down. Since you mentioned this being a house in an urban environment, I doubt you have enough space to prevent the birds from completely destroying the grass as that would be 100s of sq ft per bird.

The only advantage of the concrete is it's harder for predators to get through. It can be hard on their feet so you'd want to build up litter at least several inches thick if possible.You will need to provide a dust bath to make up for the fact that they can't dig one on their own. I personally don't like shavings at all, expensive and not very absorbent.

What's your poop management plan? What's your climate? And realistically how many chickens are you looking at, and how large of a coop and run? You also need to consider things like where does shade fall in your yard, is the coop going to be close enough to run electricity to, what are your setback restrictions, etc.?

Any photos of spots you're considering? Chickens really do benefit from having actual soil to dig around in, but not from soil that's being watered with a sprinkler. Yes it increases the chances of coccidiosis, worms, etc., and will also likely start stinking as it breaks down. Since you mentioned this being a house in an urban environment, I doubt you have enough space to prevent the birds from completely destroying the grass as that would be 100s of sq ft per bird.

The only advantage of the concrete is it's harder for predators to get through. It can be hard on their feet so you'd want to build up litter at least several inches thick if possible.You will need to provide a dust bath to make up for the fact that they can't dig one on their own. I personally don't like shavings at all, expensive and not very absorbent.

What's your poop management plan? What's your climate? And realistically how many chickens are you looking at, and how large of a coop and run? You also need to consider things like where does shade fall in your yard, is the coop going to be close enough to run electricity to, what are your setback restrictions, etc.?
Wow, thank you for all the considerations. I don't have photos on me right now, but it's essentially just a flat concrete slab. We definitely don't meet the requirements of the birds not destroying the grass, so that seems to be out of the question.

I honestly haven't heard of dust bathing until you mentioned it. I'm a novice, and definitely have a lot to learn. Regarding dust bathing, it seems I have a few options. I could create a little area in the run filled with materials meant for dust bathing like sand or peat, or I could use sand as the bedding entirely so they can bathe in that. What bedding would you personally go with if you had a run on a concrete surface?

For more context regarding the questions at the end:

The coop and run are connected. The coop is elevated above part of the run, so there is room for shade when the chickens need it. Here's the exact coop in question: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001. We only plan on having 2-3 chickens max, which reviewers have said it should comfortable hold. It's advertised to hold 6 chickens but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case. I know it isn't the best coop to use in terms of space, but it fell within my current budget. Temperatures around me don't ever really reach extremes. The winters don't drop below 35-40f so I don't believe the coop will require any additional heat source, which also I believe means it doesn't need to be near any outlets.

In terms of poop management, I suppose that depends on the bedding used in the run. For the coop, I plan on using pine shavings and either replacing it every few days like I am now with the chicks, or learning more about utilizing the deep litter method.

They are definitely going to destroy the grass, so yes it will be a dirt patch. If it is going to be consistently wet I would not put it there. You can put it on the concrete and put bedding over top of the concrete. Or raise everything up off the ground it at all possible.
What kind of bedding would you personally use for a concrete-grounded run?

Regarding dust bathing, it seems I have a few options. I could create a little area in the run filled with materials meant for dust bathing like sand or peat, or I could use sand as the bedding entirely so they can bathe in that.
I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not chickens like dust bathing in sand - probably has to do with the coarseness of it and whether it's mixed with anything else. I use peat moss but my flock will dig holes in the run (or there's a tree they like, when they're let out) and often use that instead, weather permitting.
What bedding would you personally go with if you had a run on a concrete surface?
In terms of poop management, I suppose that depends on the bedding used in the run. For the coop, I plan on using pine shavings and either replacing it every few days like I am now with the chicks, or learning more about utilizing the deep litter method.
I haven't tried setting up on concrete so hopefully someone can give you some feedback on what works in their set up, as some folks do have a concrete pad under some part of their set up.

The two main litter options you'll see most on here are sand and deep litter, but the "best" depends on a variety of factors - as a general rule sand is better in dry, almost arid environments, while deep litter needs some moisture as it's a composting system, but it does require volume to work and also favors direct ground contact for microbes and worms to help the process along. So possibly neither of those will be optimal choices.

With the coop you posted, will you be adding additional run space to it? As it stands it barely meets minimum run space recommendation for 2 birds, with no additional room for enrichment items. The other issue with a small run space is it also pretty much forces you to use something like shavings which will need to be cleaned out and replaced on a regular schedule since you can't build up enough volume to get the poop to break down gradually (you'd just end up with a massive amount of poop in there).

To help stretch your dollar you might be able to mix in some dried leaves in the fall, or garden trimmings and dried, short cut grass in the summer (as long as lawn isn't treated for anything) - it's not the same as deep litter as you won't be leaving it in place to break down, but it'll give the chickens something new to interact with other than pine shavings, and might help lessen the amount of shavings you're buying.
The winters don't drop below 35-40f so I don't believe the coop will require any additional heat source, which also I believe means it doesn't need to be near any outlets.
Main reason for electricity is to keep the water thawed in winter. If freezing isn't an issue, then you don't need to worry about running electricity out.

All of what said above.

Wouldn't be hard to add run space in a variety of ways. TSC has dog panels of different types that should match up or could do an aluminum frame, paint black to match & wire it up. A hooped run out of various materials, chunnels around the garden. I love looking at all the options w/ them - think habitrail for hamsters...

You could raise this coop/run off the ground (cinder blocks, 2x4, 4x4, 4x6, logs or posts) and then do DLM. It's been done & made to work in smaller Coop set ups...

What kind of chickens are you/did you get?

Last edited:
I would put the coop on the concrete, but the run over the grass. I would set it up so I can move the run every so often. Off to one side for a while, then to the other. I would also let them out to free range for a couple of hours every day, if that is feasible.

Back
Top Bottom