Run Flooring in a sandy environment

Here you go, I just took these pics. You'll see how the tarps are rigged up with closeups on how they're rigged with bungee cords. I like shade cloth as well. It allows air flow and stops light to medium rain. Hard sideways rain can get through and it drips into the inside of the bottom of the pen. Pic heavy, I'll let the pics do the talking.
BTW, I'm not a carpenter, but I build coops and pens to withstand a cat 1 hurricane. I use clothesline alot too: First up is the carport pen with tarps. (No, I didnt build it lol.)

pen pics tarps 003.JPG pen pics tarps 004.JPG
pen pics tarps 006.JPG pen pics tarps 007.JPG
pen pics tarps 008.JPG pen pics tarps 009.JPG

Here you go, I just took these pics. You'll see how the tarps are rigged up with closeups on how they're rigged with bungee cords. I like shade cloth as well. It allows air flow and stops light to medium rain. Hard sideways rain can get through and it drips into the inside of the bottom of the pen. Pic heavy, I'll let the pics do the talking.
BTW, I'm not a carpenter, but I build coops and pens to withstand a cat 1 hurricane. I use clothesline alot too: First up is the carport pen with tarps. (No, I didnt build it lol.)

View attachment 3560912View attachment 3560916
View attachment 3560917View attachment 3560918
View attachment 3560919View attachment 3560920
This is great. What a smart idea. Thank you so much for taking photos. I’m very likely stealing this idea!!

Here's another pen with tarps. The tarps are rolled up under the roof tarp unseen. Release the bungee cords and down come the tarps, and are secured with bungee cords to stop the rain from getting in the pen. Notice the clothesline securing the roof tarp in place. It is attached to a buried field fence apron in the soil. It's the same all the way around this particular pen.
pen pics tarps 013.JPG pen pics tarps 014.JPG

pen pics tarps 015.JPG pen pics tarps 016.JPG

Final pics showing the shade cloth on the back side of 3 pens which faces east. Once the morning sun is above the treetops, it gets hot in the pens and the birds avoid direct sunlight. The shade cloth helps and maintains airflow.
The first pic is a sun room I added onto the back of the carport pen a few years ago. It's unused right now because I'm currently rearing chicks under the carport. I'll be opening the sun room once the chicks are grown some. You can see the sand in the pens. Shade cloth on the front of the carport pen, it gets the hot afternoon sun.

. pen pics tarps 018.JPG

pen pics tarps 017.JPG

pen pics tarps 001.JPG

Last edited:
I’m also in north Florida and our yard is 99% sand. The run is where my compost pile used to be so it has some compost mixed in with the sand. But I hadn’t thought about putting anything else in the run. It seems easy enough to rake or scoop. mine has a roof over it. But when the storms last week blew in sideways it dried up pretty quick. And they all retreated into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom