Really need some advice about substrate

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I'm looking for ideas for substrate. I have the sentinel chicken coop and a prefab "run" it's inside. I could not go the permanent structure route for reasons I won't get into but this is what I'm working with. Inside the sentinel coop is dirt mixed with sand, that if it stays dry I believe I can strain it with a scooper. My initial idea was once a week I can "stir" it to bury the poop but I dont know. However inside the run I left bare grass, and severely underestimated the fact their poop will add up on bare grass really quickly. I'm left with the option of possibly framing the inside of it (which one of the pics shows the rough idea) with boards and filling it with some substrate, but I have no idea what route to go. I don't wanna do the same route I went inside the sentinel run with dirt and sand because I don't think it'll stay totally dry. Does anyone have any suggestions? After a few days of the chickens walking in the grass, it's piling up and starting to stink already, and upsetting neighbors is the last thing I wanna do.

Attachments

• 20230626_195659.jpg
    20230626_195659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
  • 20230626_195721.jpg
    20230626_195721.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20230626_195732.jpg
    20230626_195732.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230626_195754.jpg
    20230626_195754.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 13
Where are you located in general? Climate matters. As far as the grass goes it won't last long, they'll have it scratched up and eaten in no time. Chickens poop, a lot, they never stop, not even when sleeping, so keep this in mind. Personally I would add some wood chips or mulch to the run, they will poop, they will scratch, it will mix in and dry up quickly, then turn into rich wonderful dirt for garden or flower beds. You can also add grass clippings from mowing, leaves, etc. The idea is to keep it in multiple levels of transition, if it's too wet add more to balance the moisture, if it's all turned to dirt add more to give it texture and help break down the poop. You want a nice happy medium to help eliminate the smell

Where are you located in general? Climate matters. As far as the grass goes it won't last long, they'll have it scratched up and eaten in no time. Chickens poop, a lot, they never stop, not even when sleeping, so keep this in mind. Personally I would add some wood chips or mulch to the run, they will poop, they will scratch, it will mix in and dry up quickly, then turn into rich wonderful dirt for garden or flower beds. You can also add grass clippings from mowing, leaves, etc. The idea is to keep it in multiple levels of transition, if it's too wet add more to balance the moisture, if it's all turned to dirt add more to give it texture and help break down the poop. You want a nice happy medium to help eliminate the smell
I'm located in the suburbs of Chicago and and thinking some type of mulch. It looks relatively nice, and hell I have mulch surrounding my whole house already. I don't care if the grass in that area dies, they already thinned the hell out of it cause the area is so small. I just thought like, I don't know, the poop would dissappear into the dirt but it doesn't lol. Do you have a mulch type suggestion? Possibly something I can get from home depot or menards or a store like that? I don't have a hookup from any tree trimmers or anyone.

I'm located in the suburbs of Chicago and and thinking some type of mulch. It looks relatively nice, and hell I have mulch surrounding my whole house already. I don't care if the grass in that area dies, they already thinned the hell out of it cause the area is so small. I just thought like, I don't know, the poop would dissappear into the dirt but it doesn't lol. Do you have a mulch type suggestion? Possibly something I can get from home depot or menards or a store like that? I don't have a hookup from any tree trimmers or anyone.
Just go check out what they have, look for large chunks if you can find it, otherwise the smaller stuff will work just fine (it takes longer for the bigger chunks to break down, which is good) Steer clear of cedar and mulch that is dyed.

I'd go line the bottom perimeter of the structure with a short wall, to help contain bedding a little better - such as fence slats or free pallet slats. Then just keep adding organic materials: leaves and yard rakings, grass clippings, wood chips, wood shavings, etc. variation of sizes is good, chunkier bits will help let the poops sieve to the bottom and decompose instead of being on top, stinking up your yard. You don't need to fill it up immediately, put down a layer about 2-4" thick and keep topping off every now and then with more material through the year; clean it out once a year and compost the goods for use in the garden.

Also, the zipties do look like outdoor/UV rated ones, but I'd still back that up with metal wire (galvanized, aluminum, stainless, etc) for long-term, as it won't degrade.

I'd go line the bottom perimeter of the structure with a short wall, to help contain bedding a little better - such as fence slats or free pallet slats. Then just keep adding organic materials: leaves and yard rakings, grass clippings, wood chips, wood shavings, etc. variation of sizes is good, chunkier bits will help let the poops sieve to the bottom and decompose instead of being on top, stinking up your yard. You don't need to fill it up immediately, put down a layer about 2-4" thick and keep topping off every now and then with more material through the year; clean it out once a year and compost the goods for use in the garden.

Also, the zipties do look like outdoor/UV rated ones, but I'd still back that up with metal wire (galvanized, aluminum, stainless, etc) for long-term, as it won't degrade.
I will do this asap with the mulch. As for the zip ties, I know I'll need to replace them eventually. I used roughly 9 million zip ties so once they start failing, I'll still have time to do the wire.

Back
Top Bottom