Substrate recommendations for run

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I recently added mulch as substrate to my run. Before that it was just dirt. Since adding the substrate, it has started to smell. I used to just rake out the run and add it to the green waste. I read a thread somewhere where much seemed like a good idea and would be similar to the deep litter method, which I use in the coop. I did get the small pieces of mulch that were recommended. I'm ready to just take it out and go back to dirt. What have others found to be the best substrate for the run?

recently added mulch
Can you be a little more specific about the mulch?

Wood chips, especially aged wood chips, are about as good a substrate as you can find for a chicken run in most conditions. I'd call that mulch, if it were around my plants in my garden. In my run, I call it wood chips. Same thing, different application.

Is there some other change that has happened in your run? Is it a lot hotter or have you had a lot of rain recently?

I have a roof over my run, but if we get really heavy rain, or windblown ("sideways") rain, I do notice a bit more smell in the run. Not a bad smell, more like a wet, earthy smell, but more than if it's been really dry.

Can you be a little more specific about the mulch?

Wood chips, especially aged wood chips, are about as good a substrate as you can find for a chicken run in most conditions. I'd call that mulch, if it were around my plants in my garden. In my run, I call it wood chips. Same thing, different application.

Is there some other change that has happened in your run? Is it a lot hotter or have you had a lot of rain recently?

I have a roof over my run, but if we get really heavy rain, or windblown ("sideways") rain, I do notice a bit more smell in the run. Not a bad smell, more like a wet, earthy smell, but more than if it's been really dry.
Here's a picture of the mulch

No other changes. It is summer, but doesn't get too hot here (SF Bay area). No rain at all since putting it down. We don't really get rain at all during the summer. The run is covered.

Attachments

• 20230708_185301.jpg
    20230708_185301.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 8
Here's a picture of the mulch

No other changes. It is summer, but doesn't get too hot here (SF Bay area). No rain at all since putting it down. We don't really get rain at all during the summer. The run is covered.
That looks pretty good.
How deep is it and how many birds in how big of a run???

Something coarser would be better and last longer.
full

That looks pretty good.
How deep is it and how many birds in how big of a run???

Something coarser would be better and last longer.
full
It's about 2-3" thick. 14 birds. Run is 8'x16' and they free range all day. They typically aren't in the run during most of the day. I will throw scratch down occasionally to get them to dig around and turn it over, sometimes I just use a rake and stir it around manually. Is it too deep? Not deep enough? I don't know why it smells. I've also done a few fecals on the birds to see if there's anything wrong there, but nope. None of the birds seem to have any medical issues that would cause smelling. The run is fully covered and shaded. I'm really stumped.

It's about 2-3" thick. 14 birds. Run is 8'x16' and they free range all day. They typically aren't in the run during most of the day. I will throw scratch down occasionally to get them to dig around and turn it over, sometimes I just use a rake and stir it around manually. Is it too deep? Not deep enough? I don't know why it smells. I've also done a few fecals on the birds to see if there's anything wrong there, but nope. None of the birds seem to have any medical issues that would cause smelling. The run is fully covered and shaded. I'm really stumped.
The only thing I can think is that maybe it needs some moisture to help decompose.
Does it get any rain and sun?

Back
Top Bottom