Getting Hens to Roost Inside

ralbis1

Chirping
Nov 20, 2016
I have taken in four hens from a friend who is traveling this summer, to stay with my three. (I know this is often not a good idea, but I wanted to help out my friend). I have had few problems integrating them -- the coop and run are plenty big enough -- except the visitors are spending the night roosting in the run rather than the coop. I am sure they are intimidated by the old-timers. This so far has been ok because the run is predator-proof and the weather has been good. But I would like them to start roosting inside in case we get a spate of bad weather. I was thinking of physically moving them after dark and my hens have settled in, to give them the idea. Good or bad idea? Other suggestions? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

I have taken in four hens from a friend who is traveling this summer, to stay with my three. (I know this is often not a good idea, but I wanted to help out my friend). I have had few problems integrating them -- the coop and run are plenty big enough -- except the visitors are spending the night roosting in the run rather than the coop. I am sure they are intimidated by the old-timers. This so far has been ok because the run is predator-proof and the weather has been good. But I would like them to start roosting inside in case we get a spate of bad weather. I was thinking of physically moving them after dark and my hens have settled in, to give them the idea. Good or bad idea? Other suggestions? Many thanks in advance for your advice.
We put up a partition in our coop and put them in with the other birds at night. It can be as simple as something like some chicken wire. When they wake up in the morning they’ll be a little more docile, and you can probably remove the partition after a couple of days. This is just what I would do - of course, I always get up just as the sun comes up to let everyone out so they don’t get ornery and anxious.

Yes you can move them after dark and I would. Chickens are notional, and don't take to change well.I would do this, because your own birds might follow this notion, and you will have everyone outside.

What are they roosting on outside? Once I had mine doing this, all I did was lower the roost outside for a few days. They like to roost in the highest spot possible.

If you put them in there two nights, I am betting they are in there the 3rd night.

Mrs K

Yes you can move them after dark and I would. Chickens are notional, and don't take to change well.I would do this, because your own birds might follow this notion, and you will have everyone outside.

What are they roosting on outside? Once I had mine doing this, all I did was lower the roost outside for a few days. They like to roost in the highest spot possible.

If you put them in there two nights, I am betting they are in there the 3rd night.

Mrs K
Thank you!

We put up a partition in our coop and put them in with the other birds at night. It can be as simple as something like some chicken wire. When they wake up in the morning they’ll be a little more docile, and you can probably remove the partition after a couple of days. This is just what I would do - of course, I always get up just as the sun comes up to let everyone out so they don’t get ornery and anxious.
Thank you!

I’m in somewhat the same boat. I picked up 6 year old hens and ive been trying to coax them into the coop into like a large dog crate since I’m still in the introducing process. It decided to get cold the last couple night and they start to go in, hear my rooster make a bunch of noise and run out lol they have been roosting in the run. But of course I eventually want everyone in at night and all together so I figured sleeping in the coop at night is a need and a good start for mine seeing the others IN the coop

Back
Top Bottom