Getting into coop at night

Hamster0425

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
Western Oregon
Our Freedom Rangers are in a traditional run/coop set up vs. Tractor so we can use our set up for pullets as well. We have an automatic door set up.

It's working well for us except the damn birds won't go in at night and keep trying to sleep outside unprotected. We hung a light inside the coop which gets the majority in some nights. Any other suggestions? We are going on a weekend trip soon and it's a big ask of a neighbor on top of feeding and fermenting. I'd really like them to get it together!

If the light doesn't work, you may need to continue placing them inside till the habit forms. Perhaps for the weekend, you can eliminate the fermenting and just use dry food till you get home. Then you can transfer that responsibility to picking up the stragglers.

How old are these birds?
Is there plenty of space inside the coop for the numbers of birds you have?
Good ventilation?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590791587170.png

I have had this problem many times with a new bird or ones I moved to a new coop. However one time I had seasoned veteran hens abruptly start roosting in trees and my problem was that my waterer was inside the coop and spilling on to a waterproof floor soaking manure and bedding. I had created an Amonia factory. I remedied the situation by moving the water outside. I have no idea if thats your issue but its one thing you can check to see if thats why they prefer to spend the night outside of the coop.

Oh! Didn't realize. We are in Western Oregon.
25 birds for an 8x8 coop. Plenty of room for them right now. It has a safe amount of ventilation, but we do need to add a back "window" for extra airflow. Birds are 6.5 weeks, been outside for 3. Spent first three days in the coop exclusively before going into the yard. Weather is 90 yesterday, 60 and and inch of rain tomorrow. Normal is in between :)

They go in and out all day, so they are familiar with it just fine.

No food or water in coop.

25 birds for an 8x8 coop. Plenty of room for them right now. It has a safe amount of ventilation, but we do need to add a back "window" for extra airflow. Birds are 6.5 weeks, been outside for 3. Spent first three days in the coop exclusively before going into the yard. Weather is 90 yesterday, 60 and and inch of rain tomorrow. Normal is in between :)

Chickens usually stay where the food and water is. Make sure you have dry food and water so that they will sleep in there too.

I've never been able to get my freedoms to go back into a coop for the night or any broilers for that matter. I tried a couple times and found it really frustrating. I think they may have had that instinct bred out of them. I run mine in pasture pens so I don't have that problem.

Do they have a run that will protect them from the rain?
That age can be a PITB.
Have they ever gone in on their own?
Did you try the light in the coop at dusk?
I use a battery power puck light, turn it on an hour before dusk, turn it off after dark when I lock up.
You might just have to keep putting them inside until the 'get it'.

Do they have a run that will protect them from the rain?
That age can be a PITB.
Have they ever gone in on their own?
Did you try the light in the coop at dusk?
I use a battery power puck light, turn it on an hour before dusk, turn it off after dark when I lock up.
You might just have to keep putting them inside until the 'get it'.
There are some trees in the run that help but no man made structures. They do go in on their own, just inconsistently. Last night all but one made it in. Two nights ago, not a single one did. They run and go *next* to it, so they seem to recognize it as a safe place. There is a nice bright light to lure them in.

There are some trees in the run that help but no man made structures. They do go in on their own, just inconsistently. Last night all but one made it in. Two nights ago, not a single one did. They run and go *next* to it, so they seem to recognize it as a safe place. There is a nice bright light to lure them in.
Can they get under the coop?
Good to have a dry place in the run for shelter and to keep a dusting area dry.

Back
Top Bottom