Getting into Peafowl.

Sounds like you should avoid the peafowl as you already have a lot going on. peafowl do require special care and attention and some diseases immune to chickens can kill your peas in just 3 days if you miss the signs. If your still intent on peas, then learn everything about them first especially the warning signs of infections, before you build your pen and way before you buy anything. If you do get them them get chicks and take the 3 yrs to work with your birds so they are tame or get adults and first break in your pen and they are gone for good . Lots of people sell them so don't expect to get rich from it at all ,but more or less end up with a bunch a birds you cant get rid of like others that are now eating them they have too many.
I have realized i've got quite a lot on my plate for a beginner, So i'm downsizing to just chickens, pheasants, and ducks. I wouldn't start building anything for peafowl until next year anyways since i'm just focusing on what I have this year.. Their pen would be away from my pheasants and chickens since I try to avoid things like diseases spreading through my birds.
I certainly don't expect to get rich from raising peafowl, But I do know that they are quite popular around my area yet no one seems to sell any? Thought i'd give it a go..
I was considering buying them as juniors but that's starting to sound like a bad idea. Def want my peas to be tame.
I do know peas can be very loud as well but i'm surrounded by 40 acres of land so I don't think my neighbors would be much of a problem either. Thank you for the helpful reply~ I'll definitely be reading up as much as I can before actually buying the birds..

Go with a concrete floor if you can to help keep the diseases down and you can power wash it down and clean it properly and no worries of earth worms coming into play, they carry the nematodes which infect your birds with the coccidiosis and black head both come from the dirt and these worms, the one parasite crawls back up the birds vent from when they dig in the dirt and lay in it and they get infected and kills in 3 days ! Get chicks so if they ever get out they wont fly away, take the time and do it right, also with concrete its easier to watch their poop over a roost so if one gets sick you see it right away, learn all the signs of a sick bird. This site has everything you need to know to be a great bird owner of peas. Know what meds you need with correct dosage and have them on hand before you get peas, like I said in 3 days a bird can die , but they are magnificent to own. If you really want mature birds that will lay eggs , how far are you willing to drive? Your pen would have to be built right away and have proper shelter from snow and rain storms. I have to do something with mine after getting bad news yesterday that my heart is failing my birds are big concern now finding them a good home. My male must be kept penned or he attacks his own images in everything especially cars or such like glass windows. 3 females go with him all 3 yrs old laying more eggs then you would know what to do with, I ate a bunch last year, this year they have 2 cluthces, one hatch of 6 so far, idk what to do with them either ?

You can get a buck or so a feather easily, I put a 5 gal bucket at the rd and people take and give what ever , and then my male would come along and pull every feather out of the bucket and not let anyone take any, that was before he went crazy and had to be locked up permanently !

Go with a concrete floor if you can to help keep the diseases down and you can power wash it down and clean it properly and no worries of earth worms coming into play, they carry the nematodes which infect your birds with the coccidiosis and black head both come from the dirt and these worms, the one parasite crawls back up the birds vent from when they dig in the dirt and lay in it and they get infected and kills in 3 days ! Get chicks so if they ever get out they wont fly away, take the time and do it right, also with concrete its easier to watch their poop over a roost so if one gets sick you see it right away, learn all the signs of a sick bird. This site has everything you need to know to be a great bird owner of peas. Know what meds you need with correct dosage and have them on hand before you get peas, like I said in 3 days a bird can die , but they are magnificent to own. If you really want mature birds that will lay eggs , how far are you willing to drive? Your pen would have to be built right away and have proper shelter from snow and rain storms. I have to do something with mine after getting bad news yesterday that my heart is failing my birds are big concern now finding them a good home. My male must be kept penned or he attacks his own images in everything especially cars or such like glass windows. 3 females go with him all 3 yrs old laying more eggs then you would know what to do with, I ate a bunch last year, this year they have 2 clutches, one hatch of 6 so far, idk what to do with them either ?
The concrete floor much be a little much for now.. Later in the future I could do that. I'm So sorry to hear about you though :hugs How far away are you from Lewiston ny? If you're not too far away then i'll consider taking them and getting started on the pen this year?

Im in the town of Hessel Michigan in the Upper penisula, zipe code 49745 u could map quest it . but the easiest way here would be through Canada but to go home with them you would have to go down through Detroit and back up around in through Pennsylvania to N.Y. , Canada would hassel you real bad about transporting birds in their country and could confiscated them, Ive heard of a lot of bad stories trying to get back into the states via N.Y. and then taking even personal belongings at the border

Back
Top Bottom