Getting into the mindset to allow for harvest

There really isn't huge amounts of blood and in no way should you be covered in it.
One thing you do need to be careful of when you reach in to remove the intestines be gentle don't break them open. If you do, once everything is removed thoroughly wash the carcass and anything else you plan on eating.

it sounds like the only real problem with just taking off the head is that blood will get everywhere and the carcass might get away
The blood gets "everywhere," but it's not that much total blood-- just widely splattered.
The carcass getting away hasn't been a big problem for me, if I watch where it goes.
They do tend to head for the nearest muddy spot (slightly downhill).

If you want to confine the carcass, you can put it in a kill-cone, or turn a bucket upside down over it (put a foot on the bucket, to be sure it stays put in the first little while.) If you've got deep snow, you can stomp a hole with your foot and stick the carcass in there.

For the stump method, I drive two large nails in the stump on one side to form a Vee, maybe 3/4" apart at the bottom going out to maybe 1-1/2" at the top. Gentle place the neck in that Vee and gently stretch the bird out. That helps keep the neck where it should be. You don't need to pull real tight, just gently.

When you use the stump you want to blade to sink in, not bounce off. It comes down to wood grain. If the stump is laying on its side you are cutting against the wood grain and could bounce off. You can get a killing stroke but my not totally sever the head If you cut into the end of the stump the hatchet, axe. meat cleaver, or machete are cutting into the wood grain and you are more likely to sever the head.

Back
Top Bottom