getting more hens???

swmommyto3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
alright we got 4 hens a couple weeks ago and want a few more to keep up w/our egg consumption. the hatchery here sells year old hens they currently only have araucana's (we have 1 right now and reallly like her) we're not really ready to raise chicks but think that we ultimately should. should we get 1-2 araucana's right now and order some pullets? and if so what kind of pullets to get that are easy going, great layers (preferably through winter) and of course still good meat once laying time is over? Im already concerned w/the hens we got they lay almost every day but the whites are super thin and watery so I feel they're a bit past their prime? they freerange and have a stocked feeder of layer feed so I dont think its their food or lack there of! help!

The araucana's would be fine, or you could wait. You could also start checking county fairs or chicken swaps to get some pullets. As to what breed, everyone has their favorites, you'll get a lot of opinions on this website. I have Red Stars, and they are so friendly. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks are all extremely friendly, and lay well in winter. The Buff orps or the barred rocks are good meat birds.

As for the thin shells, you might want to make sure they don't have worms, in which case you would have to worm them. Or if its just diet, you could try giving them some cat food, making sure they have oyster shell, mix some oats or oatmeal up with yogurt and even giving them a pan of milk to drink.

I give my girls to healthy tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with their water. It helps with everything from internal parasites to converting their feed. If you search it, you will find a lot of info on the healthful effects of it.

thank you, you named all the ones we're considering so I think Ill get a mix of those ordered for next week. the one that was laying thin this week was normal this morning so hopefully just a "growth spurt". will definately research the apple cider vinegar in the water!

You can also check with your county co-op if you have one. Ours has a great big board for selling and trading livestock. It is a great place to get hens!

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom