Getting muscovy ducklings friday!!! They are here with pics!!!

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
Finally after searching for months for Muscovy ducklings locally I found someone only an hours drive from me! They have mostly black and whites, but they have a few barred and chocolates too! They are almost two weeks old and so cute, they sent me a few pics. What should I look for color wise to increase my chances for a barred or chocolate? And any tips to picking out a pair? Can you tell I'm excited!

Last edited:
How exciting!
woot.gif
. The chocolate ones should be pretty easy to distinguish from the others

If they are from the same brood, the males will be larger than the females. You shouldn't be able to tell until about 3 weeks old, males will be 1/3 larger. The difference gets larger the older they get. At 2 weeks, you may not be able to tell the difference.

As for coloring, if they are young ducklings it will be difficult to tell except for chocolates. Chocolates will be an obvious brown, black can look brownish but dark. Good luck and post pics.

Tomorrow is the big day! I can't wait, I can't decide if I should pick up 2 or 3 really wanting at least a pair. Thanks all for the pics, now I know what to look for, unless one catches my eye
big_smile.png

I ended up getting three little Muscovy ducklings, I wanted to take the whole lot home they were just too cute! You all will have to let me know what you think they'll end up looking like. I tried to pick at least one of each color he had. The parents of the group was one black and white mom and a lavender mom (at least that is who he saw sitting on the nests). He wasn't sure which were the dads so many just roaming around mostly black and whites, a chocolate, and a lavender. He also had quite a few all whites in the group too, just wasn't looking for an all white.

Group shot, they are still a little shy of me.

This one was as close to solid in the group I could get, it even has two toned feet. Is it a chocolate?

This one just has little patches of color, but had the lightest brown coloring of the group. Also the smallest of the three I picked.

And this one was the odd ball of the group, it is mostly yellow with brown tipped tail. But it also has grey underfluff on its back. This one is my favorite!

Back
Top Bottom