Getting my dogs use to the chicks

most dogs should be able to learn the difference between what you want them to protect and what you want them to chase off.

IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_1912.jpeg

How is it going now? I want to see how my dog will be before I fully commit to getting chickens.

For the most part my four 50+ dogs do pretty well, by leaving them alone. I’m always with my dogs in the yard where we keep our chickens. A stern no will stop them from jumping up at their run. The one dog I introduced, does better with them than the other 2 dogs. My 4th dog is new, she’s a foster dog and she’s doing really well around them too. I also put up a wire fence, using wood at the bottom, so my tortoise doesn’t see on the other side.

Attachments

• 088B764F-1F80-4701-9D2A-36530DF4A431.jpeg
    088B764F-1F80-4701-9D2A-36530DF4A431.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • A5627ACB-A51F-4A17-B0D3-958162CF6B2B.jpeg
    A5627ACB-A51F-4A17-B0D3-958162CF6B2B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
How is it going now? I want to see how my dog will be before I fully commit to getting chickens.
What kind of dog do you have? I've trained many dogs to be around chickens. It starts like this as a puppy and it's a good thing there is a fence at first because baby puppies just think it's a big game. As soon as they get a little older and take me seriously is when I do non fence training. My dogs can weigh 170 pounds and take down a chicken in a matter of seconds, so training is really important. There is another recent thread where someone lost 20+ chickens to a German Shepherd jumping their fence. To me it's not the Shepard, it's the lack of training. Shepherds on my list of highly trainable around chickens. I have a dog psychology background.... it's a long boring story. 🤓
IMG_E7054.JPG

What kind of dog do you have? I've trained many dogs to be around chickens. It starts like this as a puppy and it's a good thing there is a fence at first because baby puppies just think it's a big game. As soon as they get a little older and take me seriously is when I do non fence training. My dogs can weigh 170 pounds and take down a chicken in a matter of seconds, so training is really important. There is another recent thread where someone lost 20+ chickens to a German Shepherd jumping their fence. To me it's not the Shepard, it's the lack of training. Shepherds on my list of highly trainable around chickens. I have a dog psychology background.... it's a long boring story. 🤓
View attachment 3760933
Aw, cute pup! 3 are foster pits, two which I kept and I might keep the last one. I’m not very good at giving them up, after fostering them! lol! The other dog of mine is an English bulldog mix.

Aw, cute pup! 3 are foster pits, two which I kept and I might keep the last one. I’m not very good at giving them up, after fostering them! lol! The other dog of mine is an English bulldog mix.
They sound highly trainable to me! My best tracking dog was a rescue Beagle mix. Best obedience Shepherd, CDX. Best with chickens, Golden and Newfie. Hardest to train with chickens, Vizsla. That's just my own stats. Newfoundlands are supposed to be gentle giants yet I had one that was a perfect flock protection dog and another one that was a chicken killer, you just never know really when it comes to breed, so it's all about the training. Leonberger's are great with chickens because they have low interest in anything other than human. But not many people have Leo's and chickens....

They sound highly trainable to me! My best tracking dog was a rescue Beagle mix. Best obedience Shepherd, CDX. Best with chickens, Golden and Newfie. Hardest to train with chickens, Vizsla. That's just my own stats. Newfoundlands are supposed to be gentle giants yet I had one that was a perfect flock protection dog and another one that was a chicken killer, you just never know really when it comes to breed, so it's all about the training. Leonberger's are great with chickens because they have low interest in anything other than human. But not many people have Leo's and chickens....
Two of my dogs were train, so if I keep up with them, they should do great. The other one she is older and was abused, so we’re letting her live her live as she wants. She the sweetest lady! It was like we had her our whole life and it’s only been two years. Man she is one of the best dogs we have ever had. The new foster is learning and fitting in great. She’s still has her moments of being scared, but she’s getting there. The picture is the first time I fostered her with her puppies and that was almost a year ago. Her puppy went quickly, but no one wanted her!

Attachments

• B96DDC9A-E818-49A7-8034-F1E0CBE8875A.jpeg
    B96DDC9A-E818-49A7-8034-F1E0CBE8875A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom