Getting my ducks to go in shelter

My ducks thought the flash light trick was scary and would herd for about 2 weeks with it. Then they realized the big dude that feeds us was behind it. Smart lil buggers.

Hello. We have done the same thing. (built a shelter). We feed them exclusively in the shelter and have an electric waterbowl in there. We also have 2 red heat lamps (outdoor kind from Home Depot or Lowes). They will go inside to eat but will not sleep in there! It got really cold, down in the teens and they all huddled and made it through. Made my heart hurt. If we can create an aisel for them to be ushered through INTO the shed they might obey but I think their down is warm enough. I throw canned corn and peas in that area so they always go there to search. Did you know that their feet do not feel the cold? Google that fact. Their beak does though, and they tuck it under their wings for warmth. I will keep watching the boards to see if someone has a great idea to share. Good luck and Happy New Year. Quack Quack Lady
We can't stress enough the importance of secure housing and run, Ducks can be taught to go in of an evening they like routine so once they learn what their owner wants they usually do it. I wouldn't worry as much about them being cold[ although I would worry] as I would about something getting them.
welcome-byc.gif

I want to thank all of you for your help. That is a very good point about the grain being in the shelter. I am having my husband take it out. I am going to work on guiding them in a pen that is in our extra garage. I can bed them in straw. Thanks again! PJ

I want to thank all of you for your help. That is a very good point about the grain being in the shelter. I am having my husband take it out. I am going to work on guiding them in a pen that is in our extra garage. I can bed them in straw. Thanks again! PJ
thumbsup.gif
and if i haven't said so already..
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom